Weird Happening at Autocross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Happening at Autocross

I attended the San Diego chapter autocross this weekend, and something really odd happened to me that had never happened before. As I later figured out being from a low gas supply, after every hard right turn, I would lose power (no power whatsoever) for about a couple of seconds, then I gained power back. It was the gas getting shoved over to the left side of the tank, and the pump sucked in air until it could suck up more gas. I didn't even think of that before going into the autocross, but I was about at reserve. At the time, I was so confused as to what was going on, but I'm just wondering if anybody has had these sorts of problems taking hard turns with not much gas in their e30s, because it is kind of odd.
    Also, not to mention that it was my first time autocrossing the M3, and what a blast that thing is!
    Last edited by Giorgio; 01-17-2005, 10:57 AM.

I have had it happen to me on long right-hand sweepers, I believe it is a problem on all our M3s.

You could get another pump pick up on the left side, or do an in-line reservoir to pull from, I believe if you did a search you could find out more.

Comment

Well I'm glad that there is nothing wrong with my pump or anything, but I think I will take the simple route out, I'm going to go with at least 3/8 to 1/2 of a tank of gas next time.

Comment

Guess what, I just looked up the M3 part number and it is a seperate part number from the e30 tank. I talked to some e30 guys, and they said they had no problem with low fuel supply on right handers, I wonder what the differences in the tanks are.

Comment

I've had the same problem with low gas in my dad's E28 M5 on a right hand freeway on ramp. I try to let my car get that low so it is never really a problem.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Giorgio
            Guess what, I just looked up the M3 part number and it is a seperate part number from the e30 tank. I talked to some e30 guys, and they said they had no problem with low fuel supply on right handers, I wonder what the differences in the tanks are.
            volume and shape.

run with an 1/8th-1/4 tank to prevent starvation.
            Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

regular occurance

You may want to double check your in tank pump but this is resolved by keeping gas in the tank. If it occurs with a higher level of fuel in the car, there may be fuel supply issues.
              88M3 henna

73T100C
              97 540\6-Gone
              2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Your gas gauge is inaccurate, always run at least a third of a tank.

Comment

Yup!

Always have more than needed. Hate to have power issues in one of those "don't lift" turns.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

I had the same problem on a right hander at buttonwillow, replaced the in tank pump and the problem went away (same fuel levels)

I think this has been talked about before, but IIRC those are one of the weaker links in the fuel suply line

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                    they are not idiots.

Comment

It's a known problem on right turns. I was at SD too and had the problem with over 1/2 tank of gas. I usually top the level during lunch, but thought I was ok this time - was kicking myself for not doing it because it showed up in the timed runs!
                      Ron

Comment

Thank you very much for offering your spare tire to me Ron, I appreciated it. I got a used tire for $50 for the time being.

Comment

Working...
                        X