Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know any good lawyers in Lexington, NC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know any good lawyers in Lexington, NC?

So I need a good lawyer... i need the best in the lexington area... Here is the story... I think i have 4 points on my lic. already.. but i was traveling from Raleigh from to concord (Charlotte) last night (1-18-05) / this morning and at 3:05am.. And he clocked me at 104. in a 70. and he put carless and reckless on it too.. (they never just put speeding on it any more alway put that on it Grrrrr....) it was at exit 94 on I-85. my val 1 went off but went off when he radared me it did not give me enough time or any time to slow down..... it was a state trooper.. over all nice guy... i have had jerk cops many times but he was the nicest if not maybe the second nicest i have had.. but any way.. I was wondering if anyone know someone who can help..

OH I just was reading the ticket and he put that the day for the speeding was 2004.. Does that matter... The careless and reckless says 2005... I think it should all be droped just for that but any way Any help is much appreciated...

Nice little b-day present....

sorry man... just make sure you get a GOOD traffic lawyer. Don't save money on a lawyer, get a good one!

I had something similar happen a couple years ago: speeding and exhibition of speed. i went with a not-so-good cheap lawyer, and he didnt do much for me. now i have 2 extra points, a misdemeanor, and HIGh insurance for the 3 years. be sure to get the best!

Comment

You're very lucky he could have taken your drivers license on the spot and make you park your car.
      :woohoo:

Comment

I had a cop do that to me, and found out later that he wasn't allowed to. You don't lose your license until it's sent in, or if you have a hearing. There's no "instant off" with the license... at least in Maine. I should have sued him, ha. Oh well.

Comment

OH I just was reading the ticket and he put that the day for the speeding was 2004.. Does that matter... The careless and reckless says 2005... I think it should all be droped just for that but
          I hate to be a voice of reason but the date discression won't matter to the Judge. The judge, DA, and cop are only there for one reason... REVENUE: He's not going to pass up your $300 over a trivial error on the ticket.

That being said: read this for some great ideas.

speeding ticket options
          SteveZ

Comment

suck it up

Comment

once you your caught driving a certain amount over the speed limit (i think 25 or 30) it is considered a criminal offense no longer a civil one. Now maybe its different in other states but yes the cop can and will cut up your license and tow your car away, and if your lucky he wont arrest you. Another question i have is.... Do you guys really get lawyers when you want to fight a ticket????? i just send it in.. they will send you a summons like 3-6 months later and then you go in and plead your case, usually to a clerk magistrate. I have won 90% of my tickets by making up an excuse.. Or you can ask a cop to hook you up.. I have done this many times but never heard of getting a lawyer to get rid of a traffic violation???!!!!

P.S. and the cop is supposed to be there when you fight the ticket but they never go. there is always another officer there or some other person representing that city for the day..
              And this is not just local police or city cops. Im talking staties!!

Good luck though
              Joey
              Last edited by e30m3power; 01-19-2005, 02:16 PM.
              http://JoeysM3.com

Comment

National Motorist's Association may be of some help. Join up if you are not already a member. 800-882-2785 or www.motorists.org. For now, write down every detail of the stop that you can. Take really good notes. You will have to do some of the work since you know more about the details. If you fight well in court you can at least get it reduced usually.

Comment

hah, in addition to the same tickets I had my car impounded and spent the night in jail in Florida

in Michigan, I got a ticket and the cop laughed about it and let me go on my way, when I called the clerk the following week to find out the damage all I had to do was mail in a $65 fine

both were for 110 in a 55
                  A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

well e30m3power it is different in different states in NC I have been to many courts and if the cop does not show up then it is continued until he does... and as for a fact i was not arrested and my car was not impounded he did not say much.. he accually never even told me to slow down... he gave me a ticket and told me my court date.. here sometimes you are given the option to just mail it in but not when carless and reckless is on the ticket since a cop can not have proof at that with out video.. it must go to trial for that.. unless you plea guilty.. or you ask for a plea bargan to drop the careless and reckless and plea to a lesser charge.. and with a ticket at this level if you go in with out a lawyer you look bad. anyway as for the date.. i was not putting all my hopes into that.. I just thought it was a possibility since it is a court and they are spos to be legalistic and all but anyway thanks for the help i will keep you all informed.. and anyother help is much apreciated..

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3power
                      once you your caught driving a certain amount over the speed limit (i think 25 or 30) it is considered a criminal offense no longer a civil one. Now maybe its different in other states but yes the cop can and will cut up your license and tow your car away, and if your lucky he wont arrest you. Another question i have is.... Do you guys really get lawyers when you want to fight a ticket????? i just send it in.. they will send you a summons like 3-6 months later and then you go in and plead your case, usually to a clerk magistrate. I have won 90% of my tickets by making up an excuse.. Or you can ask a cop to hook you up.. I have done this many times but never heard of getting a lawyer to get rid of a traffic violation???!!!!

P.S. and the cop is supposed to be there when you fight the ticket but they never go. there is always another officer there or some other person representing that city for the day..
                      And this is not just local police or city cops. Im talking staties!!

Good luck though

Joey
                      No offense E30M3power, but some of your advice is VERY bad....at least in California.

Excuses NEVER work here. The judge will just roll his eyes and find you guilty.

Once a ticket is turned in no cop can "hook you up" and get you off, unless he is able to convince the officer who wrote the ticket to go into traffic court and say either they remember nothing of the event or they were mistaken (probably perjury in both cases). Ain't gonna happen, trust me.

Lawyers often do work, the problem is that in MOST cases they cost you way more than the ticket/insurance increase would.

Your best bet is to avoid getting the ticket. Since we all drive fast at times, once you get pulled over your demeanor can be important. Never admit guilt, but for gods sake do not argue or be disrespectful. This cannot be stressed enough. The cop is human, and if you piss him off or he does not like you he will go over your car with a fine toothed comb and chickenshit you for every violation he can dream up. Your odds of getting off with a warning depend largely on what sort of cop stopped you.

Dedicated City Police traffic unit: very very very slim...they will almost always write a ticket, but he may knock some MPH off if he likes you.

State Police/Highway Patrol....your odds are better here but it is still likely you will get a ticket.

City Police Patrol car (non-traffic unit). Fairly good chance the guy won't write a ticket if you don't piss him off. These guys have other things to do.

County Sheriff Unit: Most of these HATE writing tickets...traffic is generally NOT their function and will not even stop cars for plain traffic unless you are flagrant or they suspect you are running drugs or something. Be cool and your chances of just getting yelled at are excellent.

Basic tactics if you are getting a ticket and you NEED to beat it:

1. Be low key, respectful, say nothing and do nothing that will help the cop remember the stop. Your goal is for the stop to be as routine as possible so that in court he will not remember the incident and will be relying on his notes. This is huge because most tickets don't go to court and most non-traffic units write terrible notes about their tickets. Of course, if you get stopped for going 100+ in a bright red M3 odds are pretty good he will remember the stop....

2. If you have done the above, get a GOOD traffic attorney. If the cop does not remember the stop and has crappy notes, a good attorney can tear his testimony apart. They know how to play the game.

HTH

Comment

Thank you for the advice.. i know all that to be true... now it is just a hunt for a good attorney.

Comment

NMA can also recommend an attorney. Do at least take a look at their web site.

It's a good point that the laws vary from state to state. I know a little about WA but little or nothing about NC.

Do write down all you remember about the stop while your memory is fresh. This is one of many for the cop but hopefully one of one for you. You definitely want to contest this one. You can challenge the cop's recall of the event, and you can subpoena the calibration of the radar unit. The cop has to do everything right to beat you. Now having said that I have heard that in VA you usually get screwed. NC I don't know about.

Valentine 1 is great but after dark it's hard to protect against instant on. One of your defenses may be that if there was any other traffic you might be able to create reasonable doubt that the cop could really identify your car as the one he clocked.

I strongly recommend you don't rely entirely on the lawyer. It's a rare shyster who specializes in beating speeding tickets.

Good luck, I am pulling for you....

Comment

well, sorry guys, i was only telling you about my experiences and those of my friends i have had alot of tickets. lost my license when i was 17 for 3 months. I just have honestly never heard of anybody fighting a ticket with a lawyer. I mean a criminal offense is a different story i guess, but a reg civil infraction. When i do go there are always a bunch of other people who have appointments at different times. and they go in by themselves(once i took my mom with me when i was younger) . Dont take this as advice or be offended i was just sharing with you guys what i have been thru.

And to respond to Ironhead: If my cop friends can catch the officer who gave me the ticket before he gets off his shift then im all set. But(just like you said) if its after he gets off then i have to send in the ticket and then tell my cop friend the date of the hearing. He then calls whomever( i dont know) and tells them about me and my court date. So what happens when i get to the hearing is this: I walk in sit at the bench and get sworn in. Then the clerk says that the officer representing the city is going to tell the case and after that i can says whatever i want about it. Well, the officer just says: at this time the city of " whatever" would like to drop the charges". the clerk then asks me if i have anything to say and thats it. This is the way it happens to me every time. I guess it pays to have officer friends and court officer friends.

Oh and yes you should never give the officer an attitude especially if iknow i am gonna get it fixed.....

Again, i am not really giving any crazy advice just sharing with you guys what i have been through with my driving record.

stay cool guys
                            Joey
                            Last edited by e30m3power; 01-19-2005, 07:46 PM.
                            http://JoeysM3.com

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3power
                              well, sorry guys, i was only telling you about my experiences and those of my friends i have had alot of tickets. lost my license when i was 17 for 3 months. I just have honestly never heard of anybody fighting a ticket with a lawyer. I mean a criminal offense is a different story i guess, but a reg civil infraction. When i do go there are always a bunch of other people who have appointments at different times. and they go in by themselves(once i took my mom with me when i was younger) . Dont take this as advice or be offended i was just sharing with you guys what i have been thru.

And to respond to Ironhead: If my cop friends can catch the officer who gave me the ticket before he gets off his shift then im all set. But(just like you said) if its after he gets off then i have to send in the ticket and then tell my cop friend the date of the hearing. He then calls whomever( i dont know) and tells them about me and my court date. So what happens when i get to the hearing is this: I walk in sit at the bench and get sworn in. Then the clerk says that the officer representing the city is going to tell the case and after that i can says whatever i want about it. Well, the officer just says: at this time the city of " whatever" would like to drop the charges". the clerk then asks me if i have anything to say and thats it. This is the way it happens to me every time. I guess it pays to have officer friends and court officer friends.

Oh and yes you should never give the officer an attitude especially if iknow i am gonna get it fixed.....

Again, i am not really giving any crazy advice just sharing with you guys what i have been through with my driving record.

stay cool guys
                              Joey
                              Yeah, like has been said I think it depends on what state and county you are in. Different tactics I'm sure would work in different areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X