Compression test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uwe,

Jon had new exhaust valves he got them from me, as few of his were damaged when his chain jumped a tooth. The replacement valves 8 of them, how well were they lapped or seats cut ?????? is another question. Only way to tell that is to pull the head and then you are back where you started with, who is responsible for what, and who decides this.

Regards,

Dave.
    E30 M3 for the Road
    & one for the Track &
    a S14 2002 for fun

Comment

this tooth jump thing is another subject. To me it was never confirmed that this has happened. They pulled the engine to pieces without checking the timimg marks are still aligned or not. (that's what I call professionel!). So I doubt that the valve seats haven been re-cut (which I think needs to be done after bent valves, how are the guides??).

Whatever we discuss will not be of much help for Jon anyway.
      The only way to find out (IMHO) is to pull it to pieces. Period.
      But who pay's the bill? Jon if everything is in spec? Or the Garage if not? Which independent does make the judgement?
      It's a annoying situation for Jon. He has spent a lot of money and now he is facing aonther possible bill (if the garage is winning) to prove it to himself that work carried out is fine. If it's not, than he's fine, Garage will pay (will they?).

I was exactly in the same situation, except that mine was a bit worse so decision was easy. I decided to buy a new block and paid for it which made the original budget a joke as I paid for the block on my own because the garage didn't aknowledge the damage. I don't want to go in too much detail, but the whole process was going on for month! Needless to say that a whole season of trackdays was lost. I even had to buy a cheap car to stay mobile.
      This is my last post in this topic.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Uwe is dead right on the jumped tooth theary,didn`t ring true to me either and after examining the head I found it had the wrong spec valve springs for the cams being used,which led me to float the valves,bending a few and breaking a spring.
        The reason I did the compression test was for my own piece of mind after the initial problems, just to make sure everything is ok. Is it??
        I think I will pull the head anyway,because the seed of doubt has been sewn.
        Didn`t want to do it because it is going really well,but its the only way to know for definate.
        If need be,can the pistons be removed with the block in situ,looks possible if the upper oil pan can be removed.
        On the subject of who is to blame,I don`t think we should discuss it here,as at this stage everything is just speculation.

cheers guy`s Jon

Comment

Jon,

I believe they can, but it will a real PIA. It would be easier to remove the engine to do your checks. If you are wanting to remove the pistons you are in for a lot of extra work and cost.

To be honest if I was you, you have stated the car is now going well, why pull it apart. I would live with it.

The cost of pulling it apart now for piece of mind, gasket sets, new rod bolts, labour, is going to be the same when it dies at some future date. Could be a month`s time or ten years.
          I would leave it untill I was going to do some further mods. There is no one being blamed here, as all, is as you say just speculation. It may be an idea to discuss you concernes with the enging builders, as you may be able to discuss an extended warrenty, without opening the engine. Demonstrate the concerne you have and ask them for comment.

Its an awkward one which ever way you decide to go forward.
          E30 M3 for the Road
          & one for the Track &
          a S14 2002 for fun

Comment

Jon, another option could be to have a look inside the engine with a endoscope, won't see rings of course but you will see the face of the bores which might help your doubts without resorting to a strip down.

Comment

Originally posted by UK215M3
              Jon, another option could be to have a look inside the engine with a endoscope, won't see rings of course but you will see the face of the bores which might help your doubts without resorting to a strip down.
              That will not help at all! Done to mine and it just looked fantastic through that microscopic window. My liners didn't look too bad even with the head off. It really made a difference when a piston was pulled and I could feel the "step" in the liner where the piston ring returns direction at DBC.
              EvadM3 I don't think the head in the sand tactics and hoping it goes well is what I would do. Having spend quite some money I really want to know things are done to correct specs. Doesn't help if it lasts for some years before it blows up. Who is paying for it then?
              Go and ask what clearance the liner was bored and I bet they can't tell. Mine went to the machine shop with only ONE piston
              (quote: they are made in batches, so what's the problem) for all the liners.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Uwe,

We all know we can debate this till the cows come home. Jon has already admitted that the car is now running better, but it is just the doubt that is worrying him. If he feels strongly about it, then yes he needs to act on it, but it is all just speculation at this stage. It is going to cost him a lot to take the engine apart either way, to prove right or wrong, and as you have rightly said who will be the referee to decide, and even if he is right, will still end losing out, on money and fun. I`m sure the last thing he wants is a long period without his car, whilst the rest of us are having fun, and me sending him mails of would he like a tow.

Knowing the history, I don`t think there will be simple solution.
                E30 M3 for the Road
                & one for the Track &
                a S14 2002 for fun

Comment

Working...
                X