"Proper Gearbox"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Proper Gearbox"

Ok, let me start off by saying I know very little about the illustrious E30 M3. Just that it was the very first M3 and it still is a marvel.

But I've been reading about these references to a "proper gearbox" and/or "dogleg box". What exactly is that? I'm assuming it's a different transmission then what was offered in the US spec versions.
    "Time cannot be influenced by mankind. It gives each of us a beginning and an end. And this makes us question
    the significance of what comes between. But if you can create something time cannot erode, something which ignores
    the eccentricities of particular eras or moments...something that is truly timeless, this is the ultimate victory."
    - Dr. Ing. h.c.F Porsche

Are you addicted?

The US did indeed get a different transmission than the rest of the world. The dogleg trans refers to the shift pattern where first gear is down and the left (where our second gear is). The pattern comes out like this:

R|24

As far as which is "better" and/or more "durable", I'll leave that for others to argue.

The dogleg box had tigher gear ratio's though,
    3.72:1
    2.40:1
    1.77:1
    1.26:1
    1.00:1

While the US had an overdrive 5th and the gear ratio's shown in the page header:
    3.83:1
    2.20:1
    1.40:1
    1.00:1
    0.83:1

The final drive on the US M3's was 4:10 while the Euro spec cars had 3.25 (and I think the Sport Evo's had 3.10 or something).

That's all I can think of, hope it helped.

Comment

Re: "Proper Gearbox"

Originally posted by tdc
      Ok, let me start off by saying I know very little about the illustrious E30 M3. Just that it was the very first M3 and it still is a marvel.

But I've been reading about these references to a "proper gearbox" and/or "dogleg box". What exactly is that? I'm assuming it's a different transmission then what was offered in the US spec versions.
      The doglog gearbox is a euro gearbox with a different shift pattern. I believe Reverse is left-left-up, 1st is left-down, 2nd is up, 3rd is down, 4th is right-up and 5th is right-down. They also had different gearing with 5th being 1:1 (close-ratio).

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

So does the dogleg get dynoed in 5 th gear?

Barry, wasn't there a dyno day recently in your area? How did it go, any surprising numbers?

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Does anyone have experiance with the dogleg? Acceleration, top speed, etc?

-Prince
          Randall Prince's Used Cars
          1991 BMW 318is (slowly tearing apart to become a SpecE30 car)
          1995 BMW M3 (Cone eater. Probably going the way of an LS1 swapped XP car)

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus
            So does the dogleg get dynoed in 5 th gear?

Barry, wasn't there a dyno day recently in your area? How did it go, any surprising numbers?

Ahhh yes, very surprising numbers indeed. Actually i'm going to test it again on a local DynoJet to see if the numbers are true.

Comment

I've got one, but then all the ones in Europe got the box as standard.
              I can't really compare as I have never driven an M3 without a dogleg box. I know there are a few guys in the US with them fitted.

Check the link.

http://e30m3performance.com/tech_art...tios/index.htm
              "It's not the mountain we conquer but ourselves"

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the info!

Hmmm, I guess I could say my car has somewhat something in common with its ancestor in that my 5th gear is a direct drive as well.

But that dogleg would confuse the heck out of me. What exactly was the reasoning behind that? Was it merely a result of the choice of manufacturer? Or did it serve some unknown (at least to me) purpose?
                "Time cannot be influenced by mankind. It gives each of us a beginning and an end. And this makes us question
                the significance of what comes between. But if you can create something time cannot erode, something which ignores
                the eccentricities of particular eras or moments...something that is truly timeless, this is the ultimate victory."
                - Dr. Ing. h.c.F Porsche

Are you addicted?

Comment

Originally posted by tdc
                  But that dogleg would confuse the heck out of me. What exactly was the reasoning behind that? Was it merely a result of the choice of manufacturer? Or did it serve some unknown (at least to me) purpose?
                  The car was built to race..

1st gear is only used for getting the car rolling(start), the dogleg gearpattern leaves the rest of the gears in a "H" pattern making it easier to shift while racing.

Ones you get used to the pattern I actually like it a lot more than the regular one.
                  M3 Sold :(
                  Current Car: Z3C

Comment

Originally posted by M3E30
                    The car was built to race..

1st gear is only used for getting the car rolling(start), the dogleg gearpattern leaves the rest of the gears in a "H" pattern making it easier to shift while racing.

Ones you get used to the pattern I actually like it a lot more than the regular one.
                    RACING IS THE NAME OF THE GAME!!!

Comment

Ahh..it all makes sense now. Man, I SO need to get an M3 one of these days.
                      - Dr. Ing. h.c.F Porsche

Are you addicted?

Comment

Anyone have a clue as to the HP/TQ that gearbox can take?

Also, was it made by Getrag? If so, what's the model designation?

-Prince
                        Randall Prince's Used Cars
                        1991 BMW 318is (slowly tearing apart to become a SpecE30 car)
                        1995 BMW M3 (Cone eater. Probably going the way of an LS1 swapped XP car)

Comment

YEAH MAN

I have a CR "dogleg" gearbox waiting for install....it will be installed by the end of January....Detailed post to come w/ pictures...

ADA///M

Comment

I'm also waiting to install my dogleg close ratio in my 325is. They say I need to lower my gear ratio. I have a 3.73 LSD now and they recommend using a 3.64 LSD. I s this true or should I just use my 3.73 LSD? Are the E30 M3 and E30 325 dogleg the same? Thanks.

1991 330is

Comment

Originally posted by BMWm20b25
                              I'm also waiting to install my dogleg close ratio in my 325is. They say I need to lower my gear ratio. I have a 3.73 LSD now and they recommend using a 3.64 LSD. I s this true or should I just use my 3.73 LSD? Are the E30 M3 and E30 325 dogleg the same? Thanks.
                              Yes you should lower the ratio to around 3.25 or 3.46 actually. 3.64 is rare and not much difference than 3.73. I don't think the M3 and 325 close ratio trannies are the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X