Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

water heater hose change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water heater hose change

I ordered a new heater output hose. The weird thing is that the new one is long and connects directly from heater core to engine block but my car has the bypass/thermostat on, so I decided to just cut the hose to make it fit.

Did bmw issue any update regarding this? Are we suppose to remove the thermostat now? In that case I will need new input and output hoses. Just need peace of mind.
    Dont believe all you hear, spend all you have and sleep all you want...
    89 BMW M3
    00 Mitsubishi Evo 6.5 TME
    94 MBenz E500

BMW NA got sued because a heater core burst and burned somebody. As a result of the lawsuit they issued a recall where this bypass valve was to be installed.

Comment

Thats why Im wondering...

why the new hose is long (designed not to use the bypass/thermostat)? I had to cut it, I was wondering if BMW cancelled that recall already.
      89 BMW M3
      94 MBenz E500

Comment

anybody have a pic of this bypass valve?

like even a ETK example will do

thx
        Photos

Comment

No, keep the valve in there. The part numbers were updated but the designs were never changed. The instructions on the recall say to cut a 1" section out of the hose to install the valve.

Sorry I don't have pics. If you take a look at the inlet and outlet hoses that run from your firewall to the block you should see a T, small byass hose, and a valve plummed in.

Comment

Thanks, I think you are right...

I guess I did the right thing then.
            89 BMW M3
            94 MBenz E500

Comment

Working...
            X