Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to look at another M3, this might be the one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to look at another M3, this might be the one.

Hey everybody, I'm an newbie on this site and currently M3-less. Hopefully not for long. I've looked at about 1/2 a dozen M's and none of them have jumped out at me yet as my car. But i'm going to look at one this weekend that I have a strong feeling will be the car. Its quite a distance from my house, so I going armed with enough cash to buy it and a friends dealer plate to drive it home with. I've had plently of e30's in the past, but 325 e&i's and I realize how little the cars share in common. Now any advise you can give me on what to look for? The car I'm looking at is unmodifed/molested and from what i can tell in pretty nice shape. Its got 145k on it and is reported to have no rust(i'm pretty worried about rust being on the east coast) Where are some spots i should look for rust, other than the windshield frame and rear lp lights? rear shock towers? Anywhere else? Also, what else should I look for. Any advise is appreciated. Hopefully on saturday or sunday i can post up some pics of my new car!

Jeff
    REGISTER YOU M CAR IN THE M REGISTRY TO HELP TRACK ALL THE REMAINING E30 M3s
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com/registry.php

-inside the fender lip behind where the side skirt meets the body in the rear fenders.
    -top of the fenders near shock mounts in the rear
    -bottom of front fenders/rockers where sideskirt meets fender

Are you coming further North or South to look at the car?
    Depending which direction you're going, perhaps we can offer you a M3 specialty shop that can give the car a pre-purchase insp. and help point out any area's you may not be familiar with.

Best of luck, and dont get "pressured" into buying just because you have cash in hand.

Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

If you're REALLY worried about rust, then taking off the bumper covers, side skirts, and looking under the battery tray are other places too look. Even the door hinges will rust. I've seen some rusty E30's...

Usually the license plate lights and/or in the rear tail light region goes first. Windshield corners too... if these are clear, you're probably ok.

Comment

Good Luck and like everyone else says, DON'T GET PRESSURED!

The E30 M3 specific stuff that I would look out for -

Has it been hit at all? check the VIN labels obviously, but also the core supprt and front bumper which don't have VINs.

intake manifold gaskets: have they been done recently or at all?

Alternator and mounting bushings: notoriously bad when mounted to the S14

motor mounts: saggy motor mounts can cause the A/C lines to rub get cut against the pass. side frame rail. Those lines are $$$

anything else rubber in the driveline: (from front to rear) tranny mounts, and tranny support (these can break), driveline support, differential mount.

You probably know all this stuff as some of it's common to all E30s. Let us all know how it goes

Bryant

Comment

Who's car are you looking at, we kind of all know eachother.

Oh and if you have a generic line made up at a hose maker it's not that bad. "motor mounts: saggy motor mounts can cause the A/C lines to rub get cut against the pass. side frame rail. Those lines are $$$
          Last edited by OnrailsM3; 01-25-2005, 05:54 PM.

Comment

rust area's

Hi Jeff,

Hope your search is going well.

I would check the front carpet for dampness. Really feel it, visually sometimes you can't tell. If its wet it could be a couple of things. Open rear pop out's if applicable, check where they seal against the body. On the firewall near the cowl drain. Adjacent the exhaust header.
            Sometimes the strut towers. Check from wheel well w/ an awl. The Drip rail along both sides of the roof. And all of the jacking points. I know some of that covers what you would expect with a regular e30, but I know you want to be thorough. Good Luck!

Cheers,
            Erik

Comment

Cool, thanks for the advise. The guy who owns this car isnt on here, or any site for that matter. I'll be bringing a freind who knows these cars mechanically in and out. I'll keep you all updated
              REGISTER YOU M CAR IN THE M REGISTRY TO HELP TRACK ALL THE REMAINING E30 M3s
              http://www.bmwmregistry.com/registry.php

Comment

Alsow dont forget to look under the fuse box and on the other side under the overflow tang for stress cracks or kin't metal it is vary comon on E30 M3s to kink or crack inder the fuse box. if the car is near philadelphia i could alsow meet with you and look at the car . i have ownd one for 9 going almost on 10 years now and have seen just about everything . good luck and alsow check the timing chain tentionor if it has ever ben changed or upgraded .

Comment

Working...
                X