clunk when shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clunk when shifting

So if anyone remembers I had the bent subframe and trailing arm awhile back. Well that is taken care of with a few upgrades along the way, if anyone is interested I did a write up on everything I did step-by-step along with pics to help out. So anyways, I have been driving it now for about a week and the rear end has started to make a clunk whenever I shift hard. It is for sure gets worse with the amount of speed I shift and will only make noise when shifting. Now from what I have come to learn, if it were a u-joint it would vibrate at high speeds, and if it were a dif issue I would get vibration when letting off the pedal at high rpm's. It is not a major thing as I dont really shift the car hard to often, but as I am now selling it I thought I should try and figure what it might be.

*All bolts are tight, u-joint and halfshafts feel tight.*

TIA for any help
    1988 E30 M3 2.3(sold)
    1988 Celica alltrac turbo (on its way to 300hp)

Take a look see at your Rear shock mounts inside your trunk
    :woohoo:

Comment

rear shock mounts are brand new.
      1988 E30 M3 2.3(sold)
      1988 Celica alltrac turbo (on its way to 300hp)

Comment

It is your CV joints. I have the same problem. If you shift very very smoothly it won't make the noise, right?

Jack up the car and see how much free play is in the wheel when you rotate it before it get resistance from the diff.

Jordan
        "Never lift"

Comment

Change Center support bearing and grease the drive shaft splines.

audibm

Comment

Working...
          X