Another "no spark" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "no spark" thread

Tried to turn the car over today after replacing my big greens with stock injectors/turner 2.5 chipto try and resolve my fuel problem, and i got no spark at the plugs, tried all the ignition tricks and i have no 12v at the coil.

Checked the resistances and I have a .4/5 reading at primary and 5.41 at secondary. Is this a bad coil? everything else seems to check out, but I do have one question,

On pin #1 a continuous beep meens constant ground right? i have the beeping at off posistion on the key, but as it turns on, it doesn't beep (i'm semi-illiterate with a multimeter, just double cheking). The 12V at the battery block behind the expansion tank checks out at 12.5 V, the ECU get's power on pin 18 and 35 with key, everything seems to point to the coil or ECU itself which I feared to be the case since I have been changing back and forth between chips latley trying to diagnose my fuel problem.

Do these resistances check out on the coil? or is it way low and need a replacing? or are there more ecu tricks to try?

If it's the ECU like i fear, I'm a pessimist =), anybody in socal around the 60/15 freeway wanna help me with a quick swap of ECU's and see if it's fried? lunch and a pint will be included
    Last edited by Highrever; 02-25-2005, 03:27 PM.

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Try to bypass the OBC relay box. It is a black box under the dash, above the ABS unit with 2 green connectors. There will be a Green wire and a Green/Red wire, connect them together and see what happens.

Comment

Should I short the 2 wires together with the plug not connected? or do I tap them together and plug them back in?

Comment

Short it with them unplugged.

Comment

Ok, this one qualifies as a "what the hell?"

Shorted them like you said, crossed my fingers and it roars to life!
          Just for shits and giggles i reconnect the plug and tried it again, roars to life..... what the hell? loose connection somewhere? i jiggled the DME to see if i would get a hesitation or flutter, nothing.

Not only that, but dropping my stock injectors and standard 2.5 turner chip it eliminated my bucking at 6500 RPM's, I didn't pull to redline, just 7000 and it pulled hard with plenty of fuel in the engine. Obviously my big greens are the problem as I tried both Iigmotiv's chip and turners EVO chip, what do you guys recommend I do to these big greens to make sure they work? Adwo had them rebuilt when I bought them from him, i could always havew them rebuilt again I guess, maybe I should have them flow benched or something?

Or is there another problem the greens are creating, as I said all i did was re-install the stock in jectors and turner chip and all is good * knock on wood*

Comment

Originally posted by Highrever
            Ok, this one qualifies as a "what the hell?"

Shorted them like you said, crossed my fingers and it roars to life!
            Just for shits and giggles i reconnect the plug and tried it again, roars to life..... what the hell? loose connection somewhere? i jiggled the DME to see if i would get a hesitation or flutter, nothing.

Not only that, but dropping my stock injectors and standard 2.5 turner chip it eliminated my bucking at 6500 RPM's, I didn't pull to redline, just 7000 and it pulled hard with plenty of fuel in the engine. Obviously my big greens are the problem as I tried both Iigmotiv's chip and turners EVO chip, what do you guys recommend I do to these big greens to make sure they work? Adwo had them rebuilt when I bought them from him, i could always havew them rebuilt again I guess, maybe I should have them flow benched or something?

Or is there another problem the greens are creating, as I said all i did was re-install the stock in jectors and turner chip and all is good * knock on wood*

Only one way to tell......WBO2 monitor and AFPR...........

T

Comment

I was thinking of an AFPR very soon, which one do you recommend Tony? I've seen a few on Ebay that look rice'ish, and the BMP one. Also what's a good WBO2 monitor?

Comment

The OBC relay is probably on its way out and messing with it probably got it un-stuck. That relay inturrupts your +12 to the coil. Do you use the CODE thing on your OBC often?

Comment

Do you use the CODE thing on your OBC often?

Never, do Ihave to replace the entire relay? i don't want this thing crapping out on me on the road, what's the price and P#?

Comment

I have created a new forum that may either help or repeat items you may already know.
                    http://www.s14.net/forums/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=49

Cheers

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Originally posted by Highrever
                      Never, do Ihave to replace the entire relay? i don't want this thing crapping out on me on the road, what's the price and P#?
                      You could do that, the # is 65 81 1 373 726. Or you could get a spare connector and a couple of pins from the dealer and make a jumper to keep those wires shorted and never worry about it again.

Comment

Finally got around to replacing the burnt transistor, but theres a problem now, it won't start, even with the OBC connector jumped.

can installing the wrong transistor cause the car not to fire at all? I used a TIP 31 transistor from Radio Shack can someone confirm this is the correct replacment? I never got a definative answer on the transistor number.

I may have also ruined the ECU soldering, I doubt it, don't think I burned anything, I used a Weller with heat control and never had it on there for more than a second for each pin.

Comment

TIP31 is a type of transistor so there are several in that family with different specs.
                          My NTE 196 TIP31 is working fine.
                          The car SHOULD start and run even if one of the transistors is physically missing. On my car,One had actually fallen loose from the board and was rattling around in the DME box.
                          m
                          Last edited by Mmark; 03-24-2005, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X