Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Cap Cover Bolts

Hey guys,

So lately I have been trying to track down the 3 bolts that hold the distributor cap cover on. Not the actual dist. cap, but the cover that goes over the cap and wires. They do not show up in any parts diagram and not even bmw can track the part down.

So, I was hoping someone here could take out one of the bolts and figure out the size of it (and maybe post a picture) so I could go buy some at a hardware store. I would greatly appreciate it! Plus I notice a lot of distributor cap covers missing, so im sure others would benefit from the info as well.

Thank you so much!!!!
    Jon

I'll jump in since no one else has. I believe these bolts come with the distributor cap cover. I doubt you would find an exact match at the hardware store. You could probably find (or order) something that would work from a fastener store. If I remember correctly, these are long, small diameter blots. I'm sure you could find a non BMW replacement eventually, but it would likely be a PITA. AND since they are kinda and unusual fastener, I don't know if you'd save much money buy using aftermarket bolts. I recommend you just buy the cap. I see the cap for sale from online BMW dealers for less than $8.00.

http://www.thebmwpartstore.com/oempa...121311614.html

Even if I'm wrong about the bolts coming with the cover, you're not out much money and you still have a shiny new cover.

Brad

Comment

Thanks for the input, I bought the cover new from bmw and it did not come with any bolts.
      jhaurimn
      Last edited by jhaurimn; 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Opps. Sorry I was mistaken. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I've bought ones that came with bolts. I don't have a distributor on my car, so I can't just go and pull the bolt for reference. I will try to go through my parts stash and see if I can find one to measure. I'll post something later if no one beats me to it.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate it! I actually didn't get the cover direct from BMW, I went through ecstuning. I stopped at my dealer today where I'm familiar with the parts staff, and they agree it should of came with a cover. They agreed to order one with no obligation to me if it doesn't come with bolts, so we will see in 2 days what shows up.

Comment

Hi, I can confirm it they not come with the distributor cover and are not shown in the parts manual. What I used was screws for holding a radio in to the radio brackets for late 90s NZ Toyota, USA probably has something different there but worth a look at the wreckers yard. Dimensions: 5mm screw x.8mm pitch. Total length =11.2mm Thread length =7.5mm Dave.
            Attached Files

E30 M3 1987
            Mini Clubman GT
            BMW E36 323 Msport
            Toyota Corona
            KTM 200EXC
            Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Interesting. I dont think I will go to a junkyard to try and find the screw, but I will head to my local hardware store and see if I can find something close to that. Thank you for the info. Im still hoping maybe we got unlucky and had the screws missing by mistake.

Comment

Might of lucked out. I went to my local dealer with pictures of those screws and the dimensions and the guy was able to find these. Pretty much identical dimensions but I havent had a chance to test them yet. If they work ill post the part number for future reference.

Comment

If those screws work for the dist cover can you post the number......I am on the same search

Comment

seem a bit long ..

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
                      Might of lucked out. I went to my local dealer with pictures of those screws and the dimensions and the guy was able to find these. Pretty much identical dimensions but I havent had a chance to test them yet. If they work ill post the part number for future reference.

how did you solve it? the screws were right? I also would need it

Comment

Help me please

Comment

Hey man, sorry I didnt notice this right away. The cover is held on by 3 M5x6 bolts. They are pretty tricky to find, but I used M5x10 bolts (local hardware store should have them) and they fit fine

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
                            Hey man, sorry I didnt notice this right away. The cover is held on by 3 M5x6 bolts. They are pretty tricky to find, but I used M5x10 bolts (local hardware store should have them) and they fit fine
                            Thanks

Comment

sorry if resurrected the post:
                              I have noticed that these bolts (with head 8) would be fine, especially if you cut them. looks like the original

num 19 (nla now) http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...vel_indicator/

num 6 (longer than 19) http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...utside_mirror/

Comment

Working...
                              X