lock cylinder replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lock cylinder replacement

Man. I am in the final stages of stripping the car and everything has been pretty straight forward so far. I just pulled down the moisture seal on the driver's door and good gawd...it looks like a PROJECT to get a hand in there to even touch anything. Has anybody done this job before...any tips?

there is a 'C' clamp that holds the lock cylinder tight against the door. Remove this.
    Then you can work the cylinder out the door through the opening. You'll have to angle it slightly to clear the 'L' actuator for the real locking mechanism.
    Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

hey thanks! I am not sure if this is what I am supposed to move. It appears as if there is a very small bracket behind this as well(red arrow). I don't want to tug on something that isn't supposed to be tugged on. Any help would be great, thanks!
      Last edited by ///Mflossin; 03-01-2005, 12:07 PM.

Comment

That photo shows the heated "c clamp".
        Just pull it towards the camera (Might need a bit of persuasion with a screw-driver).

Yes it's a pint tog et your hand in there, but it is possible!
        Steve
        Scottish Cecotto

Comment

As already said , its real easy just to pull the C clamp off .Here's a pic of the locking barrel .
          When you pull the barrel from it's housing , make sure you dont let all the pins(pins being the metal bit which the key passes thru in the barrel ) come out . They each have a small spring behind them and each has a number and must go back in the correct position to work again .Have a pen and a bit of paper handy to note down which number pin goes in which slot and on which side .

I'm sure the top two or bottom two pins are ever so slightly different from the rest . Keep an eye out for that when dismantling and in reassembly.

This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

yep, pull that toward the camera to get it off. that holds the heater that is activated when you lift the door handle. Its supposed to un-thaw the locks in the winter... :rolleyes: Lived in NH for 21 years (Cant claim to be car savvy for all) but i've never seen those warmers do any good.
            Chris L.

Comment

guys...hey thanks for the lighting fast responses. Back out to the garage....:cool:

Comment

Take a picture of the "full subject" please! We like PrOn.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

hey...you guys are a great help. I got her out.

Comment

are you just trying to replace the worn tab on the end?
                    Chris L.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                      are you just trying to replace the worn tab on the end?
                      I am not replacing anything except the gasket and rosette. I am restoring/repainting the car and this needed to be removed. :cool:

Comment

Working...
                      X