Sway bar end link not coming off...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway bar end link not coming off...

The self locking nut on both joints of the swaybar end link will not loosen... I have tried WB40, PB blaster, impact wrench but it simply turns with the screw that goes inside the lubricated part of the end link. There is also no flat edge from which to gain any leverage... Any advice? - Hugh

There should be 2 flat spots on the back side to put a wrench on it to hold them while taking the nut off. Sometimes the boots slide over it hiding them. Peel the boots back a little.
    1988 E30 M3 S38
    1970 E10 2002 S14

Comment

^+1 I had the same problem and I found the flat spots and it came off easily.

Comment

Yeah and this is the weird part...I completely removed the rubber casing and there are no flat ends. Even weirder...the bolt size is 15mm. I just did this on the passenger side and it had both flat ends and it was 17mm...what the f'ing F, man? Only thing I can think of is the mechanic I used to take it to used the wrong bolt. But either way, there should be a flat end. #confused

Comment

My links have hexagon shaped holes in the threaded ends, not sure where they came from though .

Comment

Yeah, mine do too but they are rusted/bored out.

Comment

If you already have the boots off . Then i would just pull out the cut off wheel and cut it.

Comment

Hi, Hugh,
                If the two flat spots won't work, then put a big ViceGrips on it. You're going to replace it anyway. Larry

Comment

Working...
                X