Miller war chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller war chip

Hi I was wondering if anyone is running a miller war chip on there s14?

Yup.... I am, with a Miller MAF modified to fit a DTM CF airbox from Markus.

AND..... It also passed Oregon DEQ smog tests!!! I had to have Dan Miller himself come down to Portland from Seattle, to actually tune it himself on a Dyno.
    sigpic
    4DAFUN
    Eric Adams
    Portland, Oregon

Comment

I have a MAF and WAR chip currently awaiting installation. I'm giddy as a school girl with excitement.
      Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
      1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
      2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
      http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

I purchased a m3 about a week ago and currently running a miller chip but I noticed a lot of flat spots tried calling miller but they didn't answer to download a good base map I am running a carbon fiber air box and a rear section

Comment

I ran a summer with the a Dan and Brody dyno tuned WAR chip and MAF. It had an flat spot between 2.0K - 2.5K RPM which was more than anoying on a daily driver. That's the cruise sweet spot. When you hit the gas, there was a lag, then it got up and went. I reverted back to the AFM and Iigomotiv chip and have never looked back. The dyno session was expensive so I'm holding off trying again and actually have lost interest in the experiment.

If you are serious about a MAF and WAR chip, make sure they don't just tune for top HP but more for driveability. Dyno sessions are expensive.

Good luck.

Comment

I had all sort of gremlins of problems of nightmare and so on in a euro e30 M3 with this setup. Lot of emails with Brody, the behavior of the car will change from day to day and the cold starts, OMG! What a pain in the ass, and most of the time changing values even to ZERO in the fuel maps, the engine won't change the behavior and what not, and sometimes it will...go figure out. I took it off, installed back the AFM and oredered a IGOmotiv custom chip and no more problems and happy end (the engine was converted to 2.5L with Schrick cams, etc).

Then I came across with a US spec e30 M3 with the WAR chip installed (stock intake and engine) and the cold starts are crap, it also has huge delays in throttle response even when is full warmed up the engine....flat spots everywhere. Sure it does need some serious tunning, but it was running the stock base map (for stock 2.3L) and was crap.

Sorry, but this is/was my experience with it.

Google it and you will find a lot of horrible stories about it and some successfull stories as well.
            Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver / Euro E34 M5 '93 / Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro / Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro / Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

I know the feeling I had a e30 with s52 while back same exact thing ended up installing a trm tune it was spot on car ran amazing. I been looking online having a har time finding a chip Is installing schrick cams on 2.3 worth it? Any gain over stock?

Comment

Does anyone have a base tune someone can share with me or a Dyno tune. I know things are not free in life ..

Comment

I might do the same .. I have the same thing flat spot at 2-3
                  Originally posted by jwbavalon View Post
                  I ran a summer with the a Dan and Brody dyno tuned WAR chip and MAF. It had an flat spot between 2.0K - 2.5K RPM which was more than anoying on a daily driver. That's the cruise sweet spot. When you hit the gas, there was a lag, then it got up and went. I reverted back to the AFM and Iigomotiv chip and have never looked back. The dyno session was expensive so I'm holding off trying again and actually have lost interest in the experiment. If you are serious about a MAF and WAR chip, make sure they don't just tune for top HP but more for driveability. Dyno sessions are expensive. Good luck.

Comment

I Have the IGOSS93 and love it. Pulls hard all the way, no tuning and cheap upgrade. Cant complain one bit.

Comment

Man, I had a similar situation: Several years ago I bought one of the first Miller Chips, pre "WAR". I had some dificluty getting it to run well. After some months of poor driving, I called them only to find out they moved their shop and lost the tuning data for my unit ! They offered no help so I gave up un them and replaced it with a van Kronenburg set up from VAC in Philladelphia and have been VERY happy ever since. Tony, the owner, is an electro-mechinical genius. As far as I am concerned, Miller still owes me a refund because they sold me a non working device and could not fix it. They mean well but are in over their heads. Maybe if you live next door to them you might get a good tune. It sounds like the only other mod that works is MAX alpha N. HTH,
                      /Walter Boggs

Comment

I am going to start looking for an alternative
                        Originally posted by Wonder BOY View Post
                        Man, I had a similar situation: Several years ago I bought one of the first Miller Chips, pre "WAR". I had some dificluty getting it to run well. After some months of poor driving, I called them only to find out they moved their shop and lost the tuning data for my unit ! They offered no help so I gave up un them and replaced it with a van Kronenburg set up from VAC in Philladelphia and have been VERY happy ever since. Tony, the owner, is an electro-mechinical genius. As far as I am concerned, Miller still owes me a refund because they sold me a non working device and could not fix it. They mean well but are in over their heads. Maybe if you live next door to them you might get a good tune. It sounds like the only other mod that works is MAX alpha N. HTH, /Walter Boggs

Comment

Hi Alex. I say go back to stock or else bite the bullet and get the real deal by a local vendor/tuner. Apex Speed technology. I have the Vipec V44 personally tuned by Neel who owns the company and has vast experience. Do it right and do it once. Or else go back to stock, that's my advice Erik

Comment

Hey Erik Thanks for the advise I will look it up I want to do right but had a hard time finding someone local this is perfect
                            Originally posted by erik bernstein View Post
                            Hi Alex. I say go back to stock or else bite the bullet and get the real deal by a local vendor/tuner. Apex Speed technology. I have the Vipec V44 personally tuned by Neel who owns the company and has vast experience. Do it right and do it once. Or else go back to stock, that's my advice Erik

Comment

Thanks for the kind word Eric. I've been away from the fourm for a while but its as good a time as any to pop in.

Very few cars roll into my shop with the stock engine management. Everyone tries an alpha-N, reflash, Miller or similar solution before they seek us out, and they're never very good. The reason is the fundamental shortcomings of the S14.

The non-sequential injection lacks the ability to time injection events.
                              The air measurement is poor. Even with a MAF conversion, you still have reversion and other issues with cars that are modified.
                              The compensations are limited. The stock electronics don't seem to do a good job of modifying the air-mass model for different conditions.

The solution isn't really about the ECU - Vi-PEC, MOTEC or many others do the job fine. The solution is in a well designed system with harness (if you're smart about it, it runs all the stock instruments, etc) and a programmer who knows how to do some relatively "non-standard" air modeling to ensure smooth operation.

Many people are mistaken about what engines are difficult to tune. Big horsepower turbo motors for example are not a challenge. High compression engines with a wide dynamic range requirement (ie: idle well yet rev to 8500 RPM+) have lots of challenges. You have to be able to predict, control and time fuel for when air velocity is low and manifold pressure is unstable (idle, low speed transients) and yet have proper fuel and timing for peak power.

For those of you with modified powertrains, it quickly becomes difficult to control motors with the limitations of the stock system. The proof is in several 280+ rear wheel horsepower cars we've made that are driven often in urban traffic with no hassles.

-Neel
                              Neel Vasavada
                              Apex Speed Technology
                              2931 S. Sepulveda Blvd Suite F
                              Los Angeles, CA 90064
                              [email protected]
                              www.apexspeedtech.com

Comment

Working...
                              X