Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Fading Away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fading Away!

Have a 88' M3 and recently bought a Evo 2 spoiler, both front and back bumper are really faded. Original color of the car is zinnoberrot so the bumpers are getting pinkish, is there any wax or polish that can at least bring back some the color. So far I decided to spraybomb the spoiler, is there a code for that color or should Ziinnoberrot be enough? I'm going to respray the car next year so the spraybomb is only temporary for this year.

thanks in advance

Re: Fading Away!

Originally posted by Bezz
    Have a 88' M3 and recently bought a Evo 2 spoiler, both front and back bumper are really faded. Original color of the car is zinnoberrot so the bumpers are getting pinkish, is there any wax or polish that can at least bring back some the color. So far I decided to spraybomb the spoiler, is there a code for that color or should Ziinnoberrot be enough? I'm going to respray the car next year so the spraybomb is only temporary for this year.

thanks in advance
    Color code is on the drivers front shock tower.

T

Comment

Faded paint solutions:

1) t-cut (which can be hard work)
      2) rubbing compound (which is what paint shops use, slightly more course than t-cut), works brilliantly
      3) take the bumpers to a body/paint shop and they can 'mop up' the paint for you and bring back the original colour.

HTH

Comment

What is t-cut or what is a good rubbing compoud to use?

Comment

Hey Bezz,

My last M3 was an 89 zinno, As much as I loved her, She was a bitch for fading. I can remember the frunt fenders and rear boot spoiler turned all pink, My gf and freinds started calling it a *pink car*. Anyways I think the paint code I used was ZINNOBERROT 138/3
          Hope that helps
          Evo

Comment

Originally posted by Bezz
            What is t-cut or what is a good rubbing compoud to use?
            look here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...restorers.html

Comment

For the rubbing compound you can go to any paintwork materials supplier, local autoshop, etc. and they'll be able to advise you. Icant say which Ive used in the past, cuz I just go to my firends paintshop and use whatever he's given me.

But the rubbing compound I find is better than the colour restorers - quicker to get a better finish.

If your not confident then get a paintshop to mop over the paint for you. Over here I believe the average is around 300 for a mop for a whole car at a decent (independent) paintshop.

Comment

http://www.totalbmwmag.co.uk/HandsOn/TechNov02.PDF
                This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Nice one BMG. I totally forgot about that article.

Just one thing to watch out for with non-metallic paint is you can burn the paintwork if you use the mop incorrectly (too much pressure for too long etc).

Comment

Thanks alot guys, I actually passed by a bodyshop today on work related stuff and asked the owner(small shop) if he has any rubbing compound, so he gave some good body shop rubbing compound, really hope that works.

thanx for the input!

Comment

Working...
                    X