Suspension Product...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Product...

Has anyone here installed this product? It connects to the mounting bracket that supports sub-frame, and supposedly does wonders for the rear suspension.

http://home1.gte.net/azz3man/Butt-Strut.htm

Rich
    Last edited by rich; 05-07-2003, 08:27 PM.

I saw this long ago when it was only for the Z3s.....it looked interesting but I really don't know how much of a difference (if any) is actually noticed.

I wonder what the rest of you guys think....

Comment

Post it on the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT
        Post it on the sig.
        It was about a year ago, the discussion was very funny! Check the archives on it.

It does not do anything, but add weight, and allow you to hit even more stuff with lower ground clearance!

Sharpen it up and you can make a really fast lawnmower!:idea:

Do not click
        At least it's German

Comment

Hmm.. never seen that. Mike, do you have direct experience with one of these or what? Seems interesting, but its quite long, i would imagine the steel would deflect quite a bit under hard load..
          Alex McHenry

Comment

It's sort of like a tower brace for the rear subframe end mounts. On our cars the bottom of the subframe mount is stabilized by the stamped sheet metal doohickeys that connect to the nearby unibody rocker area. On larger BMWs, that lower mount has a large, strong (by comparison) steel arm extending forward on the chassis. On large BMW convertible conversions they extend the frame rails right to the subframe mounts.

I put the stiff Gruppe N subframe mounts on my car. They do seem to help the car. Steadier. More confidence inspiring. At the cost of listening to whirring gears and other stuff back there. If you think about it the more solid rubber also braces those pins better than stock. I forget the durometer (I have a gage for that!)but the Gruppe N mounts use *way* harder rubber than stock.

Maybe the buttstrut helps a bit while allowing you to continue to enjoy some OEM grade noise isolation. I suspect that a brace that went forward to new mounts ala the larger BMWs would work even better.

Stan
            Last edited by Stan; 05-08-2003, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Here's an E34 5 series subframe brace. It extends forward.

On our cars it's a little piddley thing that extends forward and sideways to the rockers:

Stan

Comment

Here's an E34 5 series subframe brace. It extends forward. It's larger than the E30 piece although it's hard to tell from these 'net PICs.

On our cars it's a little piddley thing that extends forward and sideways to the rockers:

Stan

Comment

for $340 it better do alot...
                  Chris
                  90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Guys,

I have this on my E30 325is track car in AZ. I installed it about a year ago. There's quite a BIG difference in the cars handling. It feels as if the back of the car is really planted now.

The Butt Strut in combination with the Sparco Strut tower brace, Eibach Pro Kit Springs and Koni Adjustable shocks make it handle better than the unmodified E30 M3 I sold to get the E30 M3 Cabrio.

I had the suspension on the car and then added the butt strut. It does have clearance issues now. But not much worse than the M coupe diff cover on the car. You can sort of see it in the photo along with the diff cover.

1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                    1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                    1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

I'd get this first. It adds .000001 bhp

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Stan:

What do the Gruppe N subframe mounts go for? Any photos compared to stock?

L James:

By "BIG difference in the cars handling", could you explain more?

Comment

The Gruppe N subframe mounts look basically like stock - see below. The main difference is that they use a much harder rubber than stock. Some folks like the urethance or poly subframe mounts which are also available for our cars. They too are stiffer. HTH.

Stan
                          Last edited by Stan; 05-09-2003, 02:14 AM.

Comment

>>>I'd get this first. It adds .000001 bhp<<<

Not to mention, you're already enjoying similar benefits from lower aerodynamic drag. Cuz you have NO DOOR HANDLES on your M.

Little stuff adds up if you do many such tweaks. Some engine builders port and polish the water holes and passages in the block, head and plumbing to allow the coolant to pass more readily through them. The water pump then has an easier job therefore pulling fewer HP from the motor via the belt drive. It's much easier and faster than head porting but few do it at rebuild time.

Stan

Comment

In regards to the "Big difference",

I guess the best way to describe it is: it decreases the chassis flex. This was originally designed for the Z3 and being a convertible the flex in the chassis is much more noticeable. The two cars are close enough that you can apply this strut to any of the E30's.

By decreasing the flex on the chassis when turning; it forces that wheel that would lift to stay planted. The E30 is a great handling car, but this greatly enhances the handling around the track.

I had one of the "track" guys I know drive my 325is around the parking lot at the new Arizona Motorsports Park (AMP) and he wanted to get one on his E30 because of the handling difference.

I hope this helps. :cool:
                              1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                              1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                              1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

Working...
                              X