Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

AFM broken down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFM broken down

My AFM is not working properly, needs to be replaced.As I live in Izmir/Turkey, it is not easy to find one.At last I found one, but it is for Evo III.My original AFM is 0280 203 028, the one I found is 0280 203 027 which is for EVO III.Does anyone know if EVO III AFM would work with my Euro M3.Do I need to give any more information about my M3, if so pls ask.

can

the return spring inside is stiffer than inside the required AFM. It means that for a certain amount of air entering, the flap is not opened as much resulting in less fuel injected. That would mean leaner running of your engine.

I don't know if the lambda control would be able to make up for that when you're not running wide open throttle (WOT), but as this control is not active at WOT you'll run lean then.
    Perhaps you can get the return spring out of your old AFM into the new one?

Comment

I dont have lambda control, the cat. was removed before I bought the car.

Comment

then you might suffer lean running also at part throttle.

Comment

but do you think if I switch the springs will work.Or if I open the black cap and make some adjustments, could that work out too.

can

Comment

The stiffer spring and lean condition theory makes sense to me, but then how can ppl run the 2.3 AFM with the 2.5? I know that something has to be paired, I'm not sure if it's injectors and chip or AFM and injectors or chip and AFM, lol.

My guess is that the AFM output signal is calibrated for the stiffer spring and so they are interchangeable.
            "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Someone would have to know what happens when you run a 2.5 AFM with a 2.3 motor.

Comment

if the flap isn't opened as much wouldn't it also mean less air too?

the comment about the Evo3 AFM not being open as much and then means less fuel assumes it sends the same signal for the same opening position as the 2.3 AFM, I'm not sure if that's the case
                Last edited by TeamM3; 03-17-2005, 12:48 PM.
                A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

I've been under the impression that the E3 AFM required a E3 AFM-specific chip to properly interpret the signal.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamM3
                    if the flap isn't opened as much wouldn't it also mean less air too?
                    not if the air velocity is higher...

If the only difference is the spring, i.e. the potentiometers inside are identical, then the signal is the same for both AFM's at identical flap angles.

Comment

Working...
                    X