CF Airbox and Strut Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CF Airbox and Strut Bars

Those of you with a CF airbox, what strut bars are you using? I just installed a CF airbox from John and my Sparco bar rubs the box even after denting the bar. Is there an alternative bar that will easily clear the box? The last thing that I want to do is rub a hole in the box. Thanks.

Sean, can't help you with the box, but I know this topic has been covered, try a search.

Is there a dyno you go to North of Chicago?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3
      Sean, can't help you with the box, but I know this topic has been covered, try a search.

Is there a dyno you go to North of Chicago?

Dave
      Thanks, I actually tried a search for a while. No, I have never been to a dyno.

Comment

on my car we put it in a tubing bender and flattened the bar of the Sparco, where it was contacting the airbox.
        Its pretty severe.
        You really have to flatten / Ovalise it pretty well.
        I assume if you use the offset motor mounts this problem may even be exxagerated because if I remember correctly they set the engine rearward even more than stock..
        I still use stock mounts, so I cannot say.
        If you look at this photo of my silver car you can see just how much we had to flatten that bar.
        Im still not sure how to post a photo into a thread but the link is below.

http://www.s14.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3479

HTH
        jimmy
        Last edited by jimmy p.; 03-24-2005, 05:25 PM.
        jimmy p.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Jimmy, thanks. The picture is very helpful. I will bang a larger dent into the Sparco bar. I am using the stock motor mounts.

Comment

Sean...this is what i did. Use a piece of wood and cover the bar with a piece of cloth. I finally did that after I scratched my bar up alittle. Good luck

Comment

for sale

Mine is a wichers. I want to sale it !!!

http://www.behindmatrix.com/e30/fotost/f00092/04.jpg

Comment

yeah, different strut bar, the solid welded bar is proven not to be any better than a hinged/bolted bar

here is Markus' carbon fiber Wiechers strut bar, I have the same in polished aluminum (thanks to Markus ):

Last edited by TeamM3; 03-25-2005, 04:45 AM.
                A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

I have standard OEM mounts and I have at least an inch of clearance between the airbox and sparco bar?

T

Comment

Now,,, see thats so wild to me.
                    I use stock mounts and I had to clearance mine so much to clear, and it still rubs occasionally under hard acceleration.
                    Mfanatics only needed a little dimple.
                    Tony's has an inch of clearance.
                    What do you think can attribute these relatively huge differences (not trying to hihack thread)...
                    Cheers
                    jimmy
                    jimmy p.
                    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I have installed the Eibach strut bar , no problem and easy to work in the engine area. NO RUBBING issues. See my photo gallery.

sigpic

Comment

Heck - my stock plenum used to rub on my Sparco bar! No rubbing should be tolerated -- it seems that the plenum/bar contact could conceivably create temporary vacuum leaks, leading to a blown engine worst-case. I'll be using the Ireland Engineer engine mounts with my new engine. They don't move the engine backwards at all but they are quite a bit shorter which will allow more plenum/bar clearance. Did you catch that 'my new engine' bit? Maybe I wouldn't have had to rebuild my engine if I didn't have the plenum/bar contact??? A conspiracy theory, perhaps.

-Dietrich

Comment

Very helpful responses, thanks for all that have taken the time so far.

Mark, where can I get one of those CF bars?
                          Last edited by Sean; 03-25-2005, 07:52 AM.

Comment

PM'd you back Sean, yeah the PO had installed a Sparco bar on mine and the stock plenum had rubbed the paint off in that area, I would imagine that engine mounts play into it, but in general there seem to be a number of fitment issues with the Sparco bar, the whole strut tower width thing, etc.

here's another pic of the strut bar in Markus' M3, nice

and here's the Wiechers website (german)

http://www.wiechers-sport.de
                            Last edited by TeamM3; 03-25-2005, 10:20 AM.
                            A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich
                              Heck - I'll be using the Ireland Engineer engine mounts with my new engine. They don't move the engine backwards at all but they are quite a bit shorter which will allow more plenum/bar clearance. -Dietrich
                              Here's the rub with the Ireland mounts...

They will be very tough with CF plenums,,, as mine is already almost sitting on the MC lines.
                              Anything lower will be too low.
                              I really dont know why they arbitrarily made the mounts lower.
                              I guess I could fab a spacer (because I would like to use the stiffer mounts), but me personally I would have preffred they did an exact duplicate of the stock mount , only stiffer.

Good luck with your new engine DC.

Cheers
                              jimmy
                              jimmy p.
                              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Working...
                              X