Help with an E30 M3 Magazine Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with an E30 M3 Magazine Article

I am the editor of a magazine called MotorStars, this month we are producing an M3 special issue, featuring in detail the E30, E46 & E92 M3 models.

Is there an owner of a E30 M3 able to answer some ownership related questions by email about the car? We believe that readers appreciate hearing from an owner, not just journalists. We will fully credit the article to you.

You can PM me here or get in touch through the contact form on our website here.

Thanks for reading!

I emailed you guys.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I'm kinda insulted you didn't mention the e36 M3.

Comment

Originally posted by humarahumara View Post
        No disrespect as I've owned one but the E36 just wasn't a "real" M3 in US form. The S52 is just not a performance engine and this is evidenced at just about every weekend @ tracks all across America.

Comment

I agree, wish we could have had the euro version in the US. I guess the E36 M3 holds a special place in my heart. It was the first car I purchased with my own money. Fell in love with it. The power, the handling. It was the E36 that lead me to want to know more about the history of the M3 and ultimately in my decision to purchase and e30 M3. Both cars still blow my mind.

Comment

Man, the E36 is so overlooked in my opinion. We didn't get the "real" engine, but the S5X can make plenty of power with a few modifications. It has an incredible chassis out of the box, but really responds to some suspension and drivetrain tuning. I had AST coilovers, lightweight flywheel, M5 clutch, M50 mani, intake, track pipe, exhaust, OBD I conversion and lightweight wheels, among other things. Looks like a lot on paper, but was all done for less than $3k, I'd say. Anyway, that car was SHARP to drive and 1000 times better to daily drive than my E30 M3. In many ways I preferred that car to my E30 and consider it to be a better overall package when tuned up a bit.

As for the S52 not being a performance engine - it may not be the greatest, but when paired that excellent chassis, I won quite a few autocross events and lapped plenty of "better" cars at track days.

Could just be my rose-colored glasses looking back at my E36 days though.

Comment

Sent you a contact form on your site.
              William Buchanan
              '91 M3
              Bastos/Castrol DTM Tribute
              259000 miles and still an immense pleasure to drive.
              "The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about, or choose to ignore"

Comment

Originally posted by humarahumara View Post

Hey, we've already covered it in a separate article in total detail! It is an awesome car that is totally under-appreciated and forgotten - which is why we covered it as an even bigger potential investment earlier this year. Back in issue seven of the magazine (we are now writing issue eleven).

"BMW M3 EVO E36– Hugely underrated M-Power car with a close link to BMW motorsport success."

Last edited by editor; 11-12-2014, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyldare View Post
                  Man, the E36 is so overlooked in my opinion. We didn't get the "real" engine, but the S5X can make plenty of power with a few modifications. It has an incredible chassis out of the box, but really responds to some suspension and drivetrain tuning. I had AST coilovers, lightweight flywheel, M5 clutch, M50 mani, intake, track pipe, exhaust, OBD I conversion and lightweight wheels, among other things. Looks like a lot on paper, but was all done for less than $3k, I'd say. Anyway, that car was SHARP to drive and 1000 times better to daily drive than my E30 M3. In many ways I preferred that car to my E30 and consider it to be a better overall package when tuned up a bit.

As for the S52 not being a performance engine - it may not be the greatest, but when paired that excellent chassis, I won quite a few autocross events and lapped plenty of "better" cars at track days.

Could just be my rose-colored glasses looking back at my E36 days though.

Couldn't agree more, the E36 is a fantastic M3.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
                    I emailed you guys.
                    Thanks for your hard work on the answers, the article is going to be awesome. Already put together all the technical side too. Will send to you to review early next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Bastosbill View Post
                      Sent you a contact form on your site.
                      Looking forward to getting you story about building a full blown touring car tribute!

Comment

Working...
                      X