Now I'm just miffed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I'm just miffed!

I'm having some issues. I thought the ecu was cashed the other day, but I have got the car to run, and driven it a little bit. It runs the same. But it died on me again, and now I can't get it to start. I am getting spark, and plenty of fuel. I have switched out the plugs, and even the cap. Spark is good. I checked the O2 senser, and the jackass that tuned my car back in May of '02 had left a socket on there. Not that that alarms me, but what did alarm me was my )2 sensor was loose. I spun it right off. My question is simple. If my O2 sensor is bad would it make the car die. I am running a SS MAF and I know it is fuctioning because of the amount of fuel it sends when it is cranking but not firing. (Thus the migrane I have right now from the fumes) It rained very heavily the past few days, and I know I went thorugh some water that would have been as deep as the )2 placement is. But I am miffed because it has run for a short while, then it dies and it won't start back up. Last night I got about 1 mile from home and this happened for the second time since it first happened last week. I left it parked over night, came back this morning, and it started right up and ran fine. I went to drive away, and it died, and hasn't started since. Help if you can.
    Simply put, the best that ever lived.

"I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's." Ayrton Senna, January, 1989.

Have you checked for possible vacuum leaks, like the big fitting on our intake plenums?

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

I don't know which one your talking about. There is a hose connected to the plenum, if that's what you mean. There are fout vaccum plugs on the intake, by the horns.

"I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's." Ayrton Senna, January, 1989.

Comment

Off the top of my head I would....
        Change plugs again, just to be sure
        check out the throttle position switch
        Check the 2 flywheel sensors
        Check the wireing on the SS unit.

I bet it is something really simple. Just go slowly over everthing untill you find something wrong. start system by system.

Do not click
        At least it's German

Comment

Check the coolant temperature sensor and wiring too, especially if you are gas-fouling the plugs.

Good luck!

Comment

I've located all these sensors. How do I check them? Do I systematically replace them, or is there a way to check them? Will the service tool tell me anything? Do I use an Ohm meter?
            Last edited by Spectre; 05-12-2003, 06:14 AM.

Comment

I don't have the resistance values for the coolant temp sensor, but if the circuit is open the ecu will interpret the signal as cold engine, and enrichen the mixture. You could pull the lead and see how the motor behaves (if it is running). If no change when u pull the lead, I would suspect the sensor.

... A quick search on Google revealed... uh... nothing. But a few minutes more found what is at the link, values for an eta motor. YMMV, but perhaps it will be an indication. Motronic is Motronic, right?

Oh, and before u do that, pull the leads to the AFM and clean/reinstall!

Cheers,

Ray

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gorf/bmwtips/maintidle.html

Comment

But I'm running a SS MAF, and the car won't start. It gets fuel and spark.

Comment

Well I dunno exactly how the SS MAF works. Call Mark at SS. But I am pretty sure the ecu still gets input from the coolant temp sensor. That is basic Motronics. How else would the ecu know the car is cold and enrichen the mixture?

Good luck!

Comment

Check the connectors from the wiring harness to the DME. If you had connected/deconnected this plug a few times, the little connectors in the plug are "open", they worn out, there is no longer a good connection.
                    These original connectors are bad quality from BMW.
                    There are connectors wich have a "spring" cage around, there is a forced connection as you open/close these 100times... with no wear out.

Daniel
                    www.m3e30.ch

Comment

I'll call you tonight after the kids go to bed, I may know what is going on.

Till then check the big brown wire coming out of the ECU connector at the very top left of the connector. This is the feed for the coil/spark. Mine used to have issues where the car would just up and die like unplugging an appliance. I would push on this wire at the connector while the car was coming to a stop with the ignition on and it would fire back up and keep going. The actual connector in the plug was losing connection with the pin on the ECU.

If its not this we'll figure out what it is.

T

Comment

My suggestion is to make sure you don't have any water in the fuel tank, I got a tank of bad gas a few months back and i was really hesistant to drive her around, try putting some fresh fuel in the tank to dilute the mix.
                        sigpic

Comment

Tony, straight call my ass because that's the exact symptom. Besides, it's been awhile.

Comment

DId you ever figure out what the problem was?

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Working...
                            X