Greetings and Salutations - along with a f'in A/C question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings and Salutations - along with a f'in A/C question

Well. . .sold my 97 M3/4 and I just purchased an 88 M3 w/128k - she is a one owner (now 2 owner) and had all the service records. . .lucky me!! F/R bumpers and wing needed paint badly (done and cheap!) and she goes into the shop this week for some minor (1300.00 worth. . .E36 tensioner, tie rods, rotors, exhaust man. bolts, flex disk/Guibo, muffler bearing) of preventive maintence!!

I really look forward to spending more time here with all of you - looks like you have some good peeps!

I have a question for the ages - A/C or not to A/C?

I know that troubleshooting A/C problems can be a PIA and I am debating yanking the whole thing. . .but I really love A/C! - Whenever I engage (push) the a/c button the fuse blows - I can move the fan with my hand so I know it's not siezed???

Mechanic thinks that it is the a/c blower motor and to R&R with new blower motor assembly it's going to cost 400 bones.

Any other thoughts of what it could be?

If anyone is in the Denver area - drop me a line and I'll buy

Thanks in advance. . .and great forum!
    ///mkaehly

Welcome

I too spend in the name of preventive maintenance :sosad:

Anyway, I would leave the A/C out to see if you could live without it this summer, you'll save a few hp's. You can remove the components after the warm weather. If you can't live without the A/C, just hook it back up when you start melting.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Welcome, you know this car will cost a bunch more to upkeep then the E36?!

I have had my AC belt off for 3 years now and don't miss it at all!

Denver never really gets all that hot, and it's more fun to drive with the sun roof open & the windows down!

On a stock engine the AC KILLS performace! Expecially at altitude!

Do not click
      At least it's German

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus
        Welcome

I too spend in the name of preventive maintenance :sosad:

Anyway, I would leave the A/C out to see if you could live without it this summer, you'll save a few hp's. You can remove the components after the warm weather. If you can't live without the A/C, just hook it back up when you start melting.
        Yes - I think that will be my plan. . .as much as I drive (about 100 miles a week) I should be able to live without it. . .my 83 GTI did not have it. . .and that is when I lived in the opressive humidity of PA. . .God I miss that car!
        ///mkaehly

Comment

Originally posted by EVOIIIM3
          Welcome, you know this car will cost a bunch more to upkeep then the E36?!

I have had my AC belt off for 3 years now and don't miss it at all!

Denver never really gets all that hot, and it's more fun to drive with the sun roof open & the windows down!

On a stock engine the AC KILLS performace! Expecially at altitude!
          The altitude out here kills everything

2/60 A/C system in my future!

Thanks
          ///mkaehly

Comment

I was having trouble with the A/C blowing the fuse when I turned on the system. I replaced the coil on the front of the compressor rather than replacing the whole compressor. The part cost $120 and now my A/C is ice cold.

Comment

that would be "cool"! (pun intended)

did you replace it yourself? was it a bitch?
              ///mkaehly

Comment

It's not really a do it yourself job. The compressor had to be removed to get the front off (the coil). Then the leads had to be soldered on and the system recharged.

Comment

*reviving old thread*

My 30amp fuse blows when the A/C is turned on, this also kills the entire HVAC system. I don't think it's related to the radiator fan because those still work fine (I have the 318 fan switch). Is it definitely something in the A/C blower motor?
                  "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

AC blower more is the same as heater blower motor I think...?

I would be suspect of the wires going to AC compressor, or the wires behind the front center panel(behind grills, infront of radiator) that go to the Aux. fan. These can very often become chaffed, and short out.

HTH,
                    Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineRunner
                      *reviving old thread*

My 30amp fuse blows when the A/C is turned on, this also kills the entire HVAC system. I don't think it's related to the radiator fan because those still work fine (I have the 318 fan switch). Is it definitely something in the A/C blower motor?
                      It's still popping fuses Mike!? I'd check out or start where Chris suggests- around the compressor/ aux fan, etc.... We should have checked it out while you were down- I forgot!!! :sosad:

Keep Cool
                      Don
                      Don McAdams
                      1988 E30 M3
                      "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

You can't rule out the aux fan yet.
                        It may work, but, if it is drawing too much current, which electric motors do when failing, the fuse will do its job.
                        I'm not saying it is the problem, just that it possibly could be .
                        m

Comment

just a vote for the wires near the compressor...

More exactly the wires within an inch of the compressor where they get routed in strange directions. and they terminate into a brownish looking plug.

That is exactly what mine was. wires frayed and shorting...

AC now works like a charm... just need freon.
                          Petro

Comment

Originally posted by D///M3
                            Keep Cool
                            Don

Ohhhh thats just cold Don!

hehe, get it? Cold.. AC... Keep Cool?

ok ok, back to my corner of silence with the Dunce cap. :p
                            Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by petro
                              just need freon.
                              "Im sure in 1985 freon is available at every corner drugstore, but in 1955 its a little hard to come by! I dont know how to say this.... but Marty I'm afraid your stuck here!"

I stole Chris' dunce cap
                              1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X