what is the box next to the amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the box next to the amp?

what is the box next to the factory amp? it has two plugs plugged into it.
    "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
    "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
    onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

sorry to threadjack but where is the amp>?
    -Eric

Comment

in the trunk next to the bracket for the trunk lid.

no one has any idea?
      "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan

Comment

I'm not sure why it's nessecary but it controls the tail lights

Comment

Brake light check module?

Comment

wookie, that is what i was thinking, but it has a ton of wires going in and out of it, that is what threw me off. most likely the best guess.

Comment

Its some kind of relay interface box for the tail lights.

I have no idea "how" it works, although I do know that without it you have no tail lights.
              Ask me how I know.

I assume if you wanted to lose it bad enough, you could get in there an resplice the harness to go direct to the tail lights,,, but weighs nothing so I bailed and left it in.

HTH
              jimmy p.
              jimmy p.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

it'sdefinetly for the brake lights. the PO jimmy riged something up and i was having all kinds of tail light problems. finally I sourced it to that box, replaced box, and everything was a-ok

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                they are not idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p.
                  Its some kind of relay interface box for the tail lights.

I have no idea "how" it works, although I do know that without it you have no tail lights.
                  Ask me how I know.

I assume if you wanted to lose it bad enough, you could get in there an resplice the harness to go direct to the tail lights,,, but weighs nothing so I bailed and left it in.

HTH
                  jimmy p.
                  i came to the same conclusion

Comment

I am having this issue on my car... Brake lights do NOT come on at all.. Anyone have an idea how much this relay is...? Part #? Any way to test it other than to replace it? I will dig around in the trunk and find it tomorrow evening.
                    Mark Williams
                    Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

IIRC, that box contains the electronics that interface the lights to the overhead check panel. It contains the circuits that monitor the lamps and triggers the fault lights in the check panel. It is fairly easy to bypass it, if you decide to go that route. I looked around realOEM, but couldn't immediately locate the part number.

NASA GTS5 #945
                      NASA GTS5 Midwest Regional Champion ('09,'11,'12 & '14)

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
                        I am having this issue on my car... Brake lights do NOT come on at all.. Anyone have an idea how much this relay is...? Part #? Any way to test it other than to replace it? I will dig around in the trunk and find it tomorrow evening.
                        Did you verify the brake light switch is working correctly?
                        I'd wager that is bad before the control module...

-CL
                        Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Thanks for the reply Chris,

The switch engages when I push on the brake pedal. I can hear the switch clicking when i depress the pedal and when I release it... It appears the default error position for a bad brake light switch at the brake pedal is lights always ON, and my brake lights are never on, therefore my deduction (as well as further research in the archives) lends me to believe it is the relay.

I pulled the relay out just a moment ago... three screws... took 2 minutes... it reads... Lampenkontrollgerat 12V and p/n 1 375 909 ... Also found that I had a stock amp in the back of car slowing me down at the track... :p:
                          Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 06-18-2008, 03:52 AM.
                          Mark Williams
                          Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X