Customizing Pistons for better oiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customizing Pistons for better oiling

My buddy in my engineering class races snowmobles. He builds about 20 motors a year for himself and various others. Hold told me when he builds the bottom end he send the pistons to get machined. He told me that he gets grooves cut into to the side of the pistons similar to a knurling process. The cuts are only 0.002-0.005 deep. The concept is the cuts retain oil and the cylinder walls have better lubrication which increases motor life. Would this application be useful with car motors, especially ones that like to rev
    Project M3 - Part Sell Off

Knurling the piston skirts is a process old timers still share with me today. My uncle (30yr mech) did it in his racing days.
    If not mistaken the new nissan motors are doing this.
    Photos

Comment

Cool , sound like its a good idea. More oil on the walls never really hurt

Comment

you can do a bunch of different things:
        gas porting-small holes on the top of the piston that extend down into the backside of the top ring land. this will help with sealing of the rings when under compression
        I have seen a few different types of swirls patterns on the top of the piston to aid in anti-detonation. We used teflon buttons in the wrist pin holes to help with side clearance issues on my Harley dragbike. There are mulitudes of coatings that you can use along with cyrogenically freezing the pistons to help with friction and its evils.

Comment

Anyone know of a good web site for piston prep? Coatings, Machine techniques and other usefull information

Comment

try:

http://www.jepistons.com/

Comment

www.ctgltd.co.uk

these do piston treatment

Comment

http://www.performancecoatings.com/enginecoatings.html

Had a header done by them. Using a infrared pyrometer there was easily a 100 deg F difference (I think more) between it and another S14 coming in froma 30min race. I figure some of the other stuff may work as advertised too.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Godney
                  www.ctgltd.co.uk

these do piston treatment
                  Good to know

When people upgrade the 2.3 to the 2.5 and or run and higher CR there is a noticeable thermo heat exchange in the motor(from what I have read). Would it be a good investment to get the Pistons, valves and Headers/manifold coated? Or would it be burning money for the little improvements?

What is the typical CR you can run on pump Gas ? 12 / 12.5 to 1?

Comment

with the right cams you can run that CR on a 2.5. and with the right tuning.
                    get some good forged pistons with jets.
                    John

Comment

Would it be worth the money to coat the vavles, pistons and header aswell ? Once again I don't own the M3 I am just trying to figure out what will work the best when I do purchase the car

My Cam questions are coming...

Comment

I think it sounds like a good idea...but at the same time i feel that the factory built this car to the best possible car it could be...i dont think any aspect of it was overlooked. bmw spends millions of dollars into engineering... just my .02
                        -drew
                        When life passes you by...just downshift.

Comment

They are also a buisness thats why parts break, then want your to spend more money , Yes i do believe the Engineers did a good job

Comment

I think ceramic technologies have come a long way since BMW did development on the S14 engines for racing. I can't see a problem with these coatings and think that they are a good idea - after all, they are used quite a lot on competition engines.

I am confused though - the heat has to go somewhere, so I guess the next component along will get hotter.
                            Steve
                            Scottish Cecotto

Comment

Since the material resists the heat, it will be transfred with the exhaust gases. Meaning you engine componates absorb less and the motor will run cooler. Exhaust temperatures will rise, so a good exhaust is key. This is what I believe would happen when you thermo coatings parts. Reason this is better you get less thermo expansion and thermo oil breakdown, so you can run the motor longer and harder . Hopefully I am on the right track. I just think its worth the extra money if your going to be tracking the car thats all.

I guess doing the exhaust side of the head and combustion camber would help too ? Can it be done?

Comment

Working...
                              X