Gauging interest seat gas spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauging interest seat gas spring

I am currently in contact with a manufacturer to have the 350N gas spring manufactured
    This is used for seat back and raise and lower the seat, this part will have closed loops.
    Suppose to get some samples in a few weeks, I will be able to test it and take pictures. We are looking at 25$ ea. roughly shipped anywhere in North America
    I need to know approximately what quantity to order if people are interested

I'm interested. I will commit for certain once the price is confirmed, and it's confirmed that these are a working, acceptable replacement for the stock part.

If I'm correct there are four gas springs in the E30 M3 seats:
    GAS PRESSURIZED SPRING BACKREST ADJUSTER, Part Number 52101965632, 350 N, Quantity per seat = 2
    GAS PRESSURIZED SPRING VERT.SEAT ADJUST, Part Number 52101965645, 500 N, Quantity per seat = 2

Please correct me if I've made a mistake above.

Is the part your planning to to have made a replacement for 52101965645? A person would need a total of four springs to rebuild both seats? Any plans to make a replacement for 52101965632? Were you just planning to use the 52101965645 as a replacement for both springs?

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by indie_wannabe View Post
      I'm interested. I will commit for certain once the price is confirmed, and it's confirmed that these are a working, acceptable replacement for the stock part.

If I'm correct there are four gas springs in the E30 M3 seats:
      GAS PRESSURIZED SPRING BACKREST ADJUSTER, Part Number 52101965632, 350 N, Quantity per seat = 2
      GAS PRESSURIZED SPRING VERT.SEAT ADJUST, Part Number 52101965645, 500 N, Quantity per seat = 2

Please correct me if I've made a mistake above.

Is the part your planning to to have made a replacement for 52101965645? A person would need a total of four springs to rebuild both seats? Any plans to make a replacement for 52101965632? Were you just planning to use the 52101965645 as a replacement for both springs?

Brad
      The plan is to start with 632 replacement, I could have a batch of 500N made, but wanted to try the 350N first to see if it works ok for seat lift. You need a total of 8 springs to refurb both seats. I understand some versions only have 1 500N for seat back tilt.

Comment

Any news on this? Any other members want to rebuild or refresh their seats?

Comment

I am interested.

Comment

I would be interested. I would keep the factory recommended pressures if possible. For seat lift I used the 500N as per factory and even that was a little too much pressure. I weigh 180 lbs. and have to jump down on the seat in order to get it lower. Anyone lighter than I won't be able to adjust the seat lower unless they get assistance from someone.
            Pat

Comment

OK folks, sorry about the delay, I was able to test fit the set I have received, they work great! I have installed 350N for both recline and Lift of the seats.
              350N is more than enough for the lift option, although for a heavier person (I am 160 lb) 500N might be a better choice.

The only small issue I have is the eyelets are 6mm originally, the ones I installed are 8mm. I am contacting the supplier to have this corrected.

I broke some of the circlips while installing, I was able to find the part number of the silver ones, but the ones at the bottom the the tilt (with small black cover because they are apparent when someone is sitting at back) I could not find part number. Maybe someone could help?
              the plan is to create a kit wilth everything included.

Also the new gas springs have silver ends, they will be painted black like OEM.

When I have sorted everything I will post an add in the classified section.

My goal is to have complete kits for both seats (8 springs) for 175$ USD with clips and shipping included in US and Canada. or 25$ individually

Here are some pictures of my install.

Comment

One other benefit, changing the springs will also fix the rocking chair looseness, I tought is was due to worn tracks, but with tension provided with new spring, it s like new again! Looking for part number for this one

Comment

Oh so in for this. Well done

Comment

Why Bother,
                    Recaro Gas Springs

[COLOR=#DDDDDD !important]01-21-2012, 01:59 PM[/COLOR]

As part of my LHD to RHD conversion I have reconditioned my Recaro leather front seats. One of the major hurdles was what to do about the almost inoperative gas springs, 8 in total.

Genuine BMW, Recaro and Lift-o-Matic were hideously expensive and I figured about $15 to $20 AUD was the right price. After a lot of searching I found Barnes Group in the UK. They have an online site called http://www.gasspringstruts.co.uk/.

The required part numbers are W06BBR0400 and W06BBR0350.

The 350 and 400 numbers are the Nm of force for each spring whereas the Lift-o-mat originals are 350 and 500 Nm. This is a small difference and without mentioning it one would not be able to tell the difference in seat operation.

Because of the force in each spring the next image shows my method of holding compression whilst installing. I just compressed each one in a vice to the appropriate length and wired them up.

Comment

did these go NLA or something in the last few years? one my my projects that keeps getting delayed is replacing all 8 dead ones.
                      James
                      sigpic

Comment

The holding clips are NLA at BMW, you will have to reuse the original ones or find something similar in a hardware store. Those interested, I can do the 8 springs (4x350N and 4x500N) for 150$ USD plus shipping. Expect 3-4 wks delivery.

Comment

I want a set. Shipping would be to Arkansas 72701. Please let me know exactly how much I owe you and how to send payment.

Brad

Comment

• discoboy1
                            discoboy1 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Will get back to you in the next 48 hours
                            Thanks!

• discoboy1
                            discoboy1 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Check your PM!

Would you ship to Canada?

Comment

• discoboy1
                            discoboy1 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Of course, I am located in Canada too, check your PM!

Nice work

81 Ur Quattro
                          87 911 M491 Cab
                          89 M3
                          89 944 T

What can I say,
                          I love wide fenders!

Comment

Working...
                          X