charging system problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging system problem?

my car isn't charging, i had my alternater tested, it was good, my battery i bought the other day, and my indicater light isn't coming on. i don't know what it could be, also my little lights under the gauges, the little green and red one stay on even when my car is off and the key is out. i have not had the car running before so i don't know if it used to do it prior to this. if you have any clues, hit me up. thnx
    -chris
    my secret tweaker pad is now the hottest spot in town..

Re: charging system problem?

Originally posted by broke
    little lights under the gauges, the little green and red one stay on even when my car is off and the key is out.
    That means the two AA batteries on your SI board in the instrument cluster are dying. You need to replace them.

As for charging, how quickly does the battery go dead? Have you searched for current draws?
    Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

i bought the battery yesterday and drove it for like two hours, let it sit over night, came home from work and drove it to get inspected, then went to the bmw center. when i was leaving, my brother started it, killed it, and then it didn't have enough juice to start up.

Comment

my father in-law thinks that the indcator light for the battery has a bulb and a resistor and that if the resistor is bad, it doesn't tell the the blue wire to let the alternater charge. i believe him b/c he is pretty damn smart but i like to check the board as does he. thnx

Comment

If the dash charge-light bulb is blown, the alternator might not charge. You say the light doesn't come on with the ignition switch in run (engne not started)?
          Steve
          Scottish Cecotto

Comment

exactly, the light doesn't even come on when i turn the car to the on position.
            Last edited by broke; 04-15-2005, 12:30 AM.

Comment

hey Chris,

I'm having the same problem with charging.Replace the alternator twice and the battery once, And it's still not charging correctly. At idle its at 11.7-12.4 volts and under load it jumps to 12.7-13.4 volts. My dash light comes on before I start it and then it goes off. The only thing I have to check now is that blue wire and make shure theres no breaks or something. if you find out anything else let me know.

George
              :burn:

Comment

I had a charging problem in my '74 CS that I traced back to the bulb in the dash also. Sounds to me that this might be the case in this instance too. I'd check the both the SI board and the bulb. Let me know if I can help.

Comment

George,
                  I am going to BMW today and I will buy that bulb while I am there. I will let you know if that is the problem.

Robert,
                  Thanks for the help. I will let you know if I will be needing you assistance! Thanks.

Comment

I had the same problem with the alternator not charging when I bought a salvaged M3.

It would hold a charge overnight, but only kills the battery when driven. So there was no short and the battery was good.

The previous owner changed out the alternator 3-times and it still had problems.

Two basic things to check. There is a blue exciter wire that connects to the Alternator. Make sure this doesn't have a break and has a good connection.

Verify there is a ground wire that connects the body of the Alt. to the engine block. This was the thing that fixed my problem. The previous owner insisted the Alt is mounted to the bracket and the block so no ground was required. He was mistaken as the alternator sits on rubber bushings so there is no contact to complete the electrical circuit.

Hope this helps.
                    Pat

Comment

Working...
                    X