Best motor mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best motor mounts

OK... what is the current suggested optimum motor mount for our car. 2.5, street/track/autox
    It still appears to be 740il mount but I would like to see if there are any other new ideas.
    TIA
    88M3 henna

73T100C
    97 540\6-Gone
    2008 MINI Clubman S

group n mounts but $$$$ compared to stock. I will switch to urethane pucks on my race car. Also for the gearbox since my rear end is now solid mounted
    Drevaen

Comment

Gruppe N is too rich for my blood. Definately the ideal answer but ouch...
      88M3 henna

73T100C
      97 540\6-Gone
      2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

For a road car just stick to standard, or do the 740 mounts - do a search and you'll find plenty of info on this upgrade.
        Steve
        Scottish Cecotto

Comment

As ever , Gustave's site has good reading . http://www.e30m3performance.com/inst...ts/mounts1.htm
          This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

I'm running Ireland urethane mounts on mine. 2.5L/Street everything seems good so far. They're pretty stiff, but don't seem overly stiff.

Comment

I'd 2nd the Ireland mounts, the people I spoke to with them didn't think they were overly harsh or anything

IMO even the 740i mount is too soft for anything but a 2.3L boulevard cruiser, you will get a lot of engine motion with them, especially with the added power

You should think about doing the trans mounts at the same time too, same source.

edit: oops, I forgot that you are already looking for tranny mounts too :borg:
              Last edited by TeamM3; 04-15-2005, 09:59 AM.
              A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Urethane actually is a better absorber of vibration than rubber/fluid is. They have different frequencies and damping characteristics.

It all depends on what you want to achieve/

Jordan
                "Never lift"

Comment

Originally posted by m3dream
                  I'm running Ireland urethane mounts on mine. 2.5L/Street everything seems good so far. They're pretty stiff, but don't seem overly stiff.
                  Hey Dreamer,

What did you use to shim up the IE motor mounts? Really big fender washers maybe? TIA.

To answer the original question, I've stated this before: the IE mounts are at least a 1/4" shorter than the stock mounts. Shimming is required. I'm just not sure that using any old thing laying around the garage is adequate.

-Dietrich

Comment

I'm willing to bet that old, worn out factory mounts are sagging a whole lot more than that

I wouldn't worry about it, but that's me ....
                    A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

I have a spare set of gr N mounts, how much would you want to spend?
                      John

Comment

John,
                        IE poly mounts are $120 for set. shoot me a note of how much you want for the MS ones. Thanks for everybodys input and the tranny mounts Mark!
                        88M3 henna

73T100C
                        97 540\6-Gone
                        2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Dietrich,

I'm running them as is. Ireland's website indicates they are shorter, but provide more clearance. I haven't noticed any problems so far and I've been running them for about a year.

Comment

Originally posted by m3dream
                            Dietrich,

I'm running them as is. Ireland's website indicates they are shorter, but provide more clearance. I haven't noticed any problems so far and I've been running them for about a year.
                            Interesting... This weekend I went to the local h/w store and bought ten 2" (3/8" I/D) fender washers. Maybe I won't need them.

-Dietrich

Comment

I was told the 740 mounts lower the engine which then will add stresses to the driveline because the angles are changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X