Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is everybody? Is this forum dying? UPDATED CONTEST FOR ALL THAT HAVE RESPONDED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is everybody? Is this forum dying? UPDATED CONTEST FOR ALL THAT HAVE RESPONDED

I know that there were some issues and the forum suffered from the times it needed to be shut down, but I would think that by now things would have gone back to "normal". S14.net has been a great help and resource over the course of my e30 M3 ownership and I am sure a lot of guys feel this way. It is however not much fun/help when there is hardly anybody around anymore. Come on people, let's get this thing moving again!

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson

I think the activity die down is the morphing of the cars as they have recently.

Here is the scene currently at least through my eyes:

Most of the guys with nice cars are keeping them, and pretty much know what to do with them, that doesn't generate a lot of traffic.
    The serious guys have had their cars a while and who have seriously modded or developed their cars happened a while ago, most of that development is done. At least the guys I know on the list.
    We uncovered / shared / brainstormed a lot of shit 5+ years ago.

The peak of the swap days, is over (Thank God),, which provided endless entertainment.
    Now due to the car's increased value, that has come to a near halt, which is about the only good thing that has come of the prices the cars are worth now.
    It has made it ill advisable to swap one or "Stance It" whatever the fuck that is.

Thankfully it seems like many cars are being kept with S14s in them and fairly stock, so that was a good side effect of the value increase, but also does not do a lot for forum traffic. Buying or restoring a car and never driving it does not generate a lot of forum posts.

Recently the perceived "cash in possibility" has produced a frenzy of car buying and selling from people trying to cash in has generated the most forum traffic.
    People posting absolutely roached cars for sale, asking ridiculous money for them for their condition, trying to cash in on the current bubble.
    Which that certainly is there prerogative but I know I personally will not comment in someones for sale thread even if I think the car is such a POS that the guy is criminal for even selling it like that,,, so that really limits posting at least on my behalf.

Very few people track their cars anymore which used to provide a good bit of traffic,,, that reduced traffic.

Anything that borders over into the Flat Brim, baggy pants, big stereo "Stance" / car show crowd I don't really care about at all,,, so I don't post in any threads, probably same for other long time forum oldsters.
    Thankfully we probably have run off most of those people anyway. Thats a scene the list could do without even if it died down to 1 post per day.

The few restoration threads that do pop up are usually good for some traffic.
    There have been a few good ones on here recently, which is great to see cars brought back that had fallen into the wrong hands.

The used parts trading / Classifieds has dwindled to an almost standstill as most old guard are now literally hoarding parts afraid to sell anything for fear that it goes NLA.

When these cars were 10-15K this list was absolutely jumping.
    The cars are less active, so thats been making the lis less active.

John's list is probably less active than this. New Post search in the AM usually only brings up 2-3 posts.
    Even the E30 M3 SIG is slower than it used to be.
    That community does have a bit more of a communal feel to it, its also much older, and so is the demographic, so there is more non-sequitar posting,,, but as far as real E30 M3 content its also been fairly slow recently.

Thats my take. I check in this forum a lot, but I agree not much activity.
    I just did a complete fuel system restore / refresh on my street car, but like what I posted above,,, I didn't post about it because I didi it all myself, I didn't need to ask any info,,, so it just happened.
    I am sure lots of that is going on...
    Last edited by jimmy p.; 03-23-2015, 10:56 AM.
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Very true. I think you summarized the current situation perfectly.

I would say the the E46 M3 is now where our cars were 5 years ago or so. A classic for its time, now becoming affordable for more people, and a great track car with a few mods. Unlikely to go through a swap phase though.

I do check the site almost daily. The overall traffic is probably there but there just not as many posts. Having said that I'm finishing a mini restoration and will be hitting the track after we thaw out a bit more here. Should have more to post then.

Comment

JummyP,

I completely agree with your statement! I come on here to just see whats new but I believe s14 has changed a lot in the last 7 years or so and not for the better. Just recently I saw posts on a for sale thread telling the owner he is asking too much and what's wrong with the car. I don't understand why they couldn't just pm the owner and let them know their thoughts privately. Whatever the case I don't enjoy coming on here as much as I use too and I keep in touch with my s14 friends privately and meet up when we get the chance. So I guess I might have change myself? I guess I am older and just don't want to deal with all the BS. Anyway we never know what the future will bring? Hopefully it will get better here and traffic will pick up.
        Hugo
        Photobucket

Comment

Overall an excellent analysis, Jimmy.
          John 3:17

Comment

Forums in general are dying as everything goes to FaceBook InstaGram and Twitter. Between the changes in market and the down time on this forum it has really killed the activity. I am sure more than a few members simply gave up sad as it sounds. I am still very active with my car though and have been continuing to enjoy the hell out of it.
            Drew
            1991 E30 ///M3 Brilliantrot
            1989 Toyota 4Runner Red
            2005 Lamborghini Gallardo 6spd Argento Luna Metallic
            2011 Audi TTS Ibis White Stage I

Comment

Originally posted by GeoS View Post
              I would say the the E46 M3 is now where our cars were 5 years ago or so. A classic for its time, now becoming affordable for more people, and a great track car with a few mods. Unlikely to go through a swap phase though.
              I had not thought of that (because I don't own one and don't really follow the cars),,,, but that makes sense.
              Its in that sweet spot in the depreciation curve where its still a great car, nice ones are still available and its now affordable which is where the E30 M3 was for a while (which led to the swapping years and many other atrocities committed on them).
              The E46 M3 is probably the only other non E30 M3 that I think I would also like to own. Its a pretty great car. I have never owned one but I instructed in a lot of them and I really do like them,,, and its so much better looking, running and overall than the E36 (JMHO).
              jimmy p.
              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by 88M3 View Post
                ... but I believe s14 has changed a lot in the last 7 years or so and not for the better...
                Hugo
                Hugo, I don't think the forum has changed,,, the "owners" and thus the participants have changed ALOT.
                The old guard is still here mostly, they just don't post nearly as much.
                The people who own the cars are way different than what they were 10 years ago.

We have had a few really good newer owners come into the forum in the past year or so and really stir up a lot of life and that was fun, GLHS Mike and Normcal (and he's even a swap owner) come immediately to mind as newer guys who are solid posters that are newer to the board and make quality posts.
                But,,,, we have also seen way more speculating flipper types trying to capitalize on the bubble than good new ones.

I lost count on how many guys have come through this board selling cars that already sold on this board a year or so prior.
                It seems every week a car gets posted for sale that the previous owner had just sold the damn thing a year or less prior.
                Last edited by jimmy p.; 03-23-2015, 06:08 PM.
                jimmy p.
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I check in several times per day. I use it to research things all the time. There is a huge amount of knowledge here and I for one am very happy that you guys are around.

I'm about as far from the Stance crowd as one can get, an antiswapper, and would track the car if I didn't need an engine refresh, and didn't have another more dedicated track car. I'm not against modding the car, but keeping it true to what it is is important.

Will
                  '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
                  '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
                  '88 M3

Comment

We'll I'm glad to see that there is still life here. Thanks for speaking up everyone. Would be nice to get a little more activity like this on a daily basis. Appreciate the compliment Jimmy, that is high praise coming from you, being that I am a swap owner, as you pointed out. ;-)

I agree with the e46 comments. I actually have been toying with the idea to get in to one of those again. Had one when they first came on the market and loved every moment of it. Still my favorite M car ever, although this one (e30 ) is a close second. Maybe if it still had the s14 it would be #1 :-)

I am very active with my car and just had another track day last Friday. Got everything working the way I want know and it's super reliable for both track and whenever I feel like ditching my dd. I get compliments every time I go to the track, no matter what the crowd. Even the owners of new exotic cars appreciate the e30 M3 and that shows how special this car is.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
                    Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

I lost count on how many guys have come through this board selling cars that already sold on this board a year or so prior.
                      It seems every week a car gets posted for sale that the previous owner had just sold the damn thing a year or less prior.
                      There's a couple of those in the for sale section right now.
                      Pretty crazy.
                      1984 E30 323i Euro (sold)
                      1985 E30 325e (sold)
                      1988 E30 Henna/Black 2.5L
                      1988 E30 Macao Evo2 #330
                      2014 F31 328i Sportswagon
                      2017 F80 M3

Comment

All good points Jimmy.

There's probably a few money maker bandits left, but a wave of jump on the bandwagon is over.

Far as social media I don't have any. Guess people wanting instant gratification don't frequent forums for detailed information. Forums are like active books. They'd rather have the short story missing details. I don't need to justify my life and status to others. Living life through social media is like living a B movie. No thanks.

Agreed the good times are long gone. Most have reached a mod level with the car or passed it on to someone else thats holding it.

Far as 6cyl swap E30's or E46M3's; I've swatted off plenty on track with a 2.7 S14. Make them really think about the car they drive for a bit. Best thing about the E46M is the MK60 abs system. Steal that and ditch the grenade motor.

When the car is on track it does get noticed. Used to be a few for an event, but not anymore. Talk it up with a few Pcar, honda, and E90M owners. The rest stare and take pics like theve seen a celebrity. Corner station workers get a real kick out of it.
                        Photos

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind is weather. There's still snow on the roads up North and my car hasn't even made it out for the season thanks to work and travel, I hope to remedy that this weekend. Once things warm up a bit more I'd expect a bit more traffic.

Overall what Jimmy said is on point.

1988 Lachssilber E30 M3
                          1977 320i Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeT View Post
                            Another thing to keep in mind is weather. There's still snow on the roads up North and my car hasn't even made it out for the season thanks to work and travel, I hope to remedy that this weekend. Once things warm up a bit more I'd expect a bit more traffic.

Overall what Jimmy said is on point.
                            That is an excellent point that I did not consider. It's hard to remember sometimes living on the Left Coast. Not to rub it in, but we have had the complete opposite this winter, if you can even call it that. Was more like fall and then spring. We never really had a winter except for a couple of weeks in December. I've already hit the track a few times and season would normally just about start now. Hope things thaw out soon on the east coast for all you guys.

Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Well, consider it rubbed in. Morning temps here in Portland low to mid teens (after setting record lows for the month of February) as we enter spring, supposedly!

Originally posted by norMcal View Post

That is an excellent point that I did not consider. It's hard to remember sometimes living on the Left Coast. Not to rub it in, but we have had the complete opposite this winter, if you can even call it that. Was more like fall and then spring. We never really had a winter except for a couple of weeks in December. I've already hit the track a few times and season would normally just about start now. Hope things thaw out soon on the east coast for all you guys.

81 Ur Quattro
                              87 911 M491 Cab
                              89 M3
                              89 944 T

What can I say,
                              I love wide fenders!

Comment

Working...
                              X