No announcement yet.

Need opinions on noise from transmission *video included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is normal input shaft bearing noise. My car did it when I got it at 113K, and it still sounds the same at over 180K. I would not use anything but Redline MTL in the transmission. Thicker oils may quiet the rattle somewhat, but shifting will suffer, especially when cold. IMHO, there is nothing better for Getrag synchronizers than MTL.
    This is not a clutch problem, because the release bearing should not be turning when the pedal is out. When my clutch went out, the noise increased when the pedal was depressed, due to the failing release bearing.
    John
    88 ///M3 Cinnabar
    84 318i Black
    sigpic

Comment

I have a friend who has used mt90 in every one of his e30s, and never had an issue shifting, even when below zero. Considering I don't drive the car in temps even close to that, there should be no issues.

Comment

I would have to second that.

I switched from MTL to LIghtweight Shockproof, the latter being significantly higher viscosity, and I really did not notice more difficult shifting. That problem, if it exists, might be more related to a very cold climate, since I am in CA.

Comment

Just like everyone's saying, that indeed is the infamous "Getrag rattle". Give it a Google to learn more on it. I'm surprised however its already starting at the millage, my friends 325i got that same noise right around 250,000. Also, your tach staying up with the key out is a SI Board problem.

Comment

Hi,
            I have the same rattle in my M3 and will overhaul the transmission in the next 6 months, I tried 75/90 gear oil and it made changing in to second notchy until fully warmed up and are presently mixture of ATF and 75/90 which works quite well.

In a Toyota Hilux which had the same noise what worked was vehicle slightly jacked up on one side and overfilling with oil level and quickly putting the bung in, probably wonít work in our gearboxes they donít seem to be 100 oil tight, not yet but will be by next spring.
            Dave.

E30 M3 1987
            Mini Clubman GT
            BMW E36 323 Msport
            Toyota Corona
            KTM 200EXC
            Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Changed the fluid to mt90 today. I had no problems shifting the transmission when cold, but it made no difference in the noise. If I get all the parts in, I hope to pull the trans next weekend.

To summarize,
              -Only makes noise when warm
              -New mt90 had no affect
              -Sound is only audible when clutch pedal is not being pressed at idle
              -Sound goes away when revs are increased

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
                Changed the fluid to mt90 today. I had no problems shifting the transmission when cold, but it made no difference in the noise. If I get all the parts in, I hope to pull the trans next weekend.

To summarize,
                -Only makes noise when warm
                -New mt90 had no affect
                -Sound is only audible when clutch pedal is not being pressed at idle
                -Sound goes away when revs are increased
                I still vote "normal Getrag clatter".

Comment

Im interested in seeing what the new parts do for the sound. I am currently getting some weird noises from my trans.

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                    Just like everyone's saying, that indeed is the infamous "Getrag rattle". Give it a Google to learn more on it. I'm surprised however its already starting at the millage, my friends 325i got that same noise right around 250,000. Also, your tach staying up with the key out is a SI Board problem.
                    I have done my research, still sounds a little louder then it should. Also, the si board is less than a year old from being refurbished my Greg, so that shouldnt be the issue.

Bootleg, I will keep this thread updated.

Comment

Originally posted by John Arnold View Post
                      That is normal input shaft bearing noise. My car did it when I got it at 113K, and it still sounds the same at over 180K. I would not use anything but Redline MTL in the transmission. Thicker oils may quiet the rattle somewhat, but shifting will suffer, especially when cold. IMHO, there is nothing better for Getrag synchronizers than MTL.
                      This is not a clutch problem, because the release bearing should not be turning when the pedal is out. When my clutch went out, the noise increased when the pedal was depressed, due to the failing release bearing.
                      I agree,redline MTL is the way to go. I have a combo of redline fluids in right now. I "think" its 50/50 MTL and differential oil. Honestly i'm not sure maybe someone can chime in on the combo. Anyway, it really reduced the noise and i've been running it like this forever.
                      1989 E30 M3 DD
                      2002 R1150R

Donate some social capitol to my cause please?

twitter.com/LUMANIKUS
                      facebook.com/Lumanikus

Comment

Luman, you are probably thinking of a mtl/mt90 mix. But having driven the car with this fluid I can tell you I have had zero issues shifting.

Comment

That sounds about right for a 100k + mile getrag. Try some MTL with about a pint of shockproof. That will quiet it a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
                            Luman, you are probably thinking of a mtl/mt90 mix. But having driven the car with this fluid I can tell you I have had zero issues shifting.
                            Originally posted by e30rida View Post
                            That sounds about right for a 100k + mile getrag. Try some MTL with about a pint of shockproof. That will quiet it a bit.
                            Could be one of these mix's , i would have to dig in a garage a state away so...
                            Either way, redline quieted my rattle..
                            Too bad i cant just pour in a 6th gear..
                            1989 E30 M3 DD
                            2002 R1150R

Donate some social capitol to my cause please?

twitter.com/LUMANIKUS
                            facebook.com/Lumanikus

Comment

Well, developments.

So Ive been tracking down a rough running engine for awhile now. Fuel system is new and/or functioning properly. All ignition components swapped out with no change in condition. So started thinking vacuum leaks. So when removing one of the vacuum plugs from the throttle bodies, creating a vacuum leak, my idle actually improved, raised slightly, and the clatter heard in the video goes away. So we are thinking its the pressure plate hitting the release bearing from the motor running so rough.

I ordered new intake gaskets and icv hoses, and plan to clean out the icv as a next course of action. Good news is, it looks like the noise isnt the transmission bearings.

Comment

Working...
                              X