Help trouble shoot a steering wheel vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help trouble shoot a steering wheel vibration

Alright guys, Need some help troubleshooting a vibration in the steering wheel. Installed sway bar links, Tires are new, Rims are balanced with Hub Centric Rings.
    However the Steering wheel and car shakes pretty good between 65-77 MPG. When its lower then 50 mph i can still feel the steering wheel shake, however its not as violent. Its shaking back and forth fast. Like Right left right left right left..... Hope that silly description is helpful. Thanks for reading and helping guys.

My guess would be one of the following:
    - blemished tire/not round from the factory
    - bent rim
    - bad wheel bearing could cause non-centric motion.
    This is assuming the wheel&tires are balanced properly.
    You can easily check by moving the wheels to the rear and put the back on jack stands. Run the car in 2nd gear and let it idle. Visually see if the rim or tire is not round.
    Pat

Comment

It does sound like something is out of balance, but everything is in balance my next guesses would be:

Worn out tie rod
      Worn out control arm
      Worn out wheel bearing (like Pat suggested)

You could try jacking up the front end one side at a time and see if you have any excess movement when you try to move the wheels. Look for side to side movement, as way the wheel turns when you steer, and top to bottom. Also get under the car an inspect for slop in the control arms and tie rod ends.

Brad

Comment

Hubcentric rings.

Comment

If your front struts are blown, that could also cause excessive vibration. Ask me how I know :^)
          Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
          1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
          2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
          http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

To clarify, are you feeling a vibration coming through the steering wheel rim, or is the wheel shimmying (slightly, quickly, rotating left and right, back and forth), or both?
            John 3:17

Comment

Originally posted by ItsNotTheNissan View Post
              Hubcentric rings.
              This. Sap on some regular fitting wheels an tires, and take it for a run.

Comment

^^^^
                Great advice.....
                sigpic

Comment

You may check your control arm bushing for wear. A crack could cause the control arm to move around and shimmy, esp under braking. GL.

Comment

Thank you everyone.

My tires and rims are balanced. Just balanced them yesterday. Rims do have hub centric ring on them also. So it's likely not the tires, I'll check everything else you guys have suggested including putting on regular tires. Very good tips.

Comment

My steering wheel shakes in certain conditions, but is not because something worn in the suspension department nor the wheels/tires out of balance/bent. My steering wheel even makes some little noise. I believe the problem, at least in my case, is that the steering shaft/u-joint portion has some gap issues, too much play and that is causing the shake/vibration a bit. Too bad that steering shaft is NLA and I will have to live with that the rest of my life.
                      Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver / Euro E34 M5 '93 / Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro / Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro / Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Are the wheels new (to you)? You say you put new tires on them and they are freshly balanced, but if you haven't used these wheels before, I would bet they are bent. Bent wheels will still balance on a machine. And if the vibration is in such a narrow speed range, it's likely a small bend that will be hard to see with the naked eye.
                        If you have used these wheels before and just got new tires, it's possible that the tires were defective or that the shop didn't balance right, in which case I would start with a different balancing place.
                        Hubcentric rings just make everything a little more finicky.
                        "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Originally posted by diegom6 View Post
                          My steering wheel shakes in certain conditions, but is not because something worn in the suspension department nor the wheels/tires out of balance/bent. My steering wheel even makes some little noise. I believe the problem, at least in my case, is that the steering shaft/u-joint portion has some gap issues, too much play and that is causing the shake/vibration a bit. Too bad that steering shaft is NLA and I will have to live with that the rest of my life.
                          if your referring to the lower Joint Part# 32312225912 , It is still available!
                          I recently ordered one from BMW of South Atlanta, they had to order it from Germany.
                          I've been experiencing the same issue, wheel Vibrates at about 70mph, Brand new wheels and tires, changed the lower Joint Assembly and front tie rods. vibration still there so we are suspecting that we need to change the front Hubs and Bearings.
                          hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by pauliecarzz View Post
                            if your referring to the lower Joint Part# 32312225912 , It is still available!
                            I recently ordered one from BMW of South Atlanta, they had to order it from Germany.
                            I've been experiencing the same issue, wheel Vibrates at about 70mph, Brand new wheels and tires, changed the lower Joint Assembly and front tie rods. vibration still there so we are suspecting that we need to change the front Hubs and Bearings.
                            hopefully this will resolve the issue.

thanks, I will look into it.
                            Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver / Euro E34 M5 '93 / Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro / Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro / Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Reviving an old thread here but similar problems. Should I be running hubcentric rings on BBS RS 061/022?

Comment

Working...
                              X