Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should new Bilstein sports feel this still.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy heck, when it comes time to redo my suspension I know where to get good information!

Comment

Thanks for posting Steve, that is very helpful. How did you get up into the fender with it sitting on the ground to measure the compressed height of the assembly? Or maybe you had it on a lift? Your 570mm ride height, is that from the bottom side of your wheel lip (between tire and lip) to the fender? After raising my car I am at ~535mm ride height. It was ~510mm before. Which makes it sound like I would practically be bottoming these out just sitting (which honestly it kind of felt like). Though I am running Ground Control camber plates, which I think changes the stack height. I guess I really need to get up in the fender and take a bunch of measurements like you have to try to figure out where I am sitting now.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
        Thanks for posting Steve, that is very helpful. How did you get up into the fender with it sitting on the ground to measure the compressed height of the assembly? Or maybe you had it on a lift? Your 570mm ride height, is that from the bottom side of your wheel lip (between tire and lip) to the fender? After raising my car I am at ~535mm ride height. It was ~510mm before. Which makes it sound like I would practically be bottoming these out just sitting (which honestly it kind of felt like). Though I am running Ground Control camber plates, which I think changes the stack height. I guess I really need to get up in the fender and take a bunch of measurements like you have to try to figure out where I am sitting now.
        The ground control camber plates drop the car about 1.5 inches. I'm thinking about selling mine and buying some Vorshlag ones.

Will
        '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
        '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
        '88 M3

Comment

So does anyone have a gland nut/ring nut tool they want to sell?

Comment

Lovely work Steve!

One comment I had was that if you are hoping that a bump stop will halt the movement in 2mm of travel you'd have to make it so stiff you may as we'll be coil bound! I think the large rubber top mount should help though.

The remaining question is why on earth do Bilstein spec such a long bump stop in these dampers which are specifically for lowered cars.
            If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough...

Comment

Originally posted by caneswell View Post
              Lovely work Steve!

One comment I had was that if you are hoping that a bump stop will halt the movement in 2mm of travel you'd have to make it so stiff you may as we'll be coil bound! I think the large rubber top mount should help though.

The remaining question is why on earth do Bilstein spec such a long bump stop in these dampers which are specifically for lowered cars.
              The 2mm is full travel without the bump stops in place. As it stands I have 135mm before the bump stops and 25mm of bump stop.
              Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post

As my car is near to stock ride height, I managed to reach up with the tape rule on to the upper spring platform and read off on the bottom spring platform.

My 570 ride height is with 16" wheels and Sport Evo fenders which have a 10mm higher arch. So with stock arches I'd be 560mm and stock arches and 15" wheels 547mm.

RE the ground control camber plates, is the the Touring plates?

The touring plates are a good thing for lowering as the distance between the spring platforms remains the same, the loss of ride height if from the smaller rubber above the spring platform. This means you are not using shock travel to lower the car, you are moving the upper spring platform closer to the strut top.

Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by stevesingo View Post
                  RE the ground control camber plates, is the the Touring plates?

The touring plates are a good thing for lowering as the distance between the spring platforms remains the same, the loss of ride height if from the smaller rubber above the spring platform. This means you are not using shock travel to lower the car, you are moving the upper spring platform closer to the strut top.
                  I just saw those last week and will be thinking long and hard about getting them. I think my car is running the Race plate though. I suspect that this race plate is part of the reason the ride feels harsh over bumps.

Comment

They will certainly be more harsh than in insulated top mount, but judging by your ride height, I suspect that if you open up your shocks you will find the bump stops to be in a similar, if not worse state than mine.
                    Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

Yeah I would bet so. I feel like I should order some new bump stops up ahead of time to have on hand just in case mine our destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by stevesingo View Post

The 2mm is full travel without the bump stops in place. As it stands I have 135mm before the bump stops and 25mm of bump stop.
                        Ah yes. Misread that!

So what other top mounts are there that aren't harsh for road use but raise the top shock mounting slightly and give us some travel to use?

Comment

GC Touring plates are the only plates I have seen with an insulation rubber and lower height.
                          Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

I'll add that E36 M cars use solid steel(no rubber) plates from the factory. Sure we feel more on the e30 due to the lighter chassis. Not sure what other mounts fit with the stock or better stack height. Funny how similar bmw mounts are. I'd venture to look at other models. Just did an X3 sport recently and it had mounts that looked like an e30.
                            Photos

Comment

Just a thought..

I hear good things of the ACS suspension kit and was wondering if the ASC struts have a similar length of bump stop?

I can't find any photos right now, but I remember them having the upper seal integrated in to the strut, perhaps not screw-in like the Bilsteins.

Thoughs/Pics
                              Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

As an addition I had a go at 2D wireframe CAD sketch of the strut, hub, wheel and control arm. WIth a 0.93 motion ratio at the inner edge the outer rim of the wheel was more like 0.84 due to the camber change.

Steve I don't suppose you carried out wheel rim measurements whilst you were doing your strut measurements to verify that number?

Comment

Working...
                                X