Different tire sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different tire sizes

These questions come up from time to time but im looking for more common sizes and better tire choices.
    I have run on 17" 8.5 et 20 wheels
    215/40/17
    235/40/17

No problems but im wondering if i can run 225/45/17 , get a bit more side wall cushioning and more choices. Overall diameter seems about the same....
    1989 E30 M3 DD
    2002 R1150R

Donate some social capitol to my cause please?

twitter.com/LUMANIKUS
    facebook.com/Lumanikus

I havent' run that tall of a tire but many have said that it will rub with the 225/45/17 because it's about 1"-1.20" taller than the normal than the 215/40/17 or the non-exisitent 225/40/17. I ended up running the widest street tire in a 215/40/17 from the Yoko Advan Neova AD08R. The thread width was as wide as most 225/40/17. It ended up not stretching much on the 17x8.5 and with the 235/40/17 it didn't stretch much at all on the 17x9.5.

Comment

Dunlop D2 star spec is decently wide as well. I will run 215/40/17 square once my staggered setup is done.

Comment

Yes the Dunlops are pretty wide and that was my choice initially. I ran across the Yoko Advan Neova and liked that they were wider so I got the Advan's instead.

Comment

I wanted to get away from staggered but i just picked up a new set of wheels and they are aggressive.
          front: 8.5x17, et13
          rear: 10x17, et20
          So since there will be some stretch involved, idk wtf to get.
          My now 215/40/17 setup vs 225/45/17 is
          15.25mm taller
          Wisdom?

1989 E30 M3 DD
          2002 R1150R

twitter.com/LUMANIKUS
          facebook.com/Lumanikus

Comment

Fronts aren't too bad. The rears is another story. I am running 17x9.5 et19. Some run 17x9.5 et13 and I think Andyman runs an a pretty aggressive offset something like an ET7 front and rear. Tires are stretched to help with rubbing and fitment.

My 215 and 235's fit almost the same way with very little stretch over the 8.5 or 9.5 rims. I know you have 10 but it won't be too bad. I have attached some pictures to show you.

Comment

Thanks i appreciate the pics. Looks like im going back to my 215 ' 235 setup. Advan or Azenis...I drive it more than the average guy so idk
              1989 E30 M3 DD
              2002 R1150R

twitter.com/LUMANIKUS
              facebook.com/Lumanikus

Comment

Originally posted by Lumanikus View Post
                Thanks i appreciate the pics. Looks like im going back to my 215 ' 235 setup. Advan or Azenis...I drive it more than the average guy so idk
                You'll be fine with your setup. I have always run those same tire sizes only on 17"x8" ET20 wheels (E39 Style 5's). I don't get why so many owners don't like the staggered look, as I truly believe it enhances the look of the E30 M3....that slightly bigger rubber at the rear looks very aggressive and the rear fender wells are huge on this car. The problem has always been the fronts......since 225/40/17's aren't out there, I went with the 215/40/s on the front and they've been wonderful. The 215's might be a wee bit stretched on an 8.5" rim, but it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 02fanatic View Post

You'll be fine with your setup. I have always run those same tire sizes only on 17"x8" ET20 wheels (E39 Style 5's). I don't get why so many owners don't like the staggered look, as I truly believe it enhances the look of the E30 M3....that slightly bigger rubber at the rear looks very aggressive and the rear fender wells are huge on this car. The problem has always been the fronts......since 225/40/17's aren't out there, I went with the 215/40/s on the front and they've been wonderful. The 215's might be a wee bit stretched on an 8.5" rim, but it should be fine.
                  My outlook is the opposite. I like the look of the staggered setup, but am concerned with performance.

Comment

Working...
                  X