Feeling a little down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling a little down

My 88 with 141k is feeling a little down on power IMO. This is my first e30 M3, the car runs good and holds a good idle. It burns no oil and pulls good above 5K in 3rd and 4th when I am on it hard. 1st and 2nd gear feel laggy.

I have new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, valves have been adjusted (spot on), and the cooling system is new. Car has a Borla muffler. I an thinking about rebuilding the injectors, changing the O2 sensor, and changing the cat/mid section to a VSR1 system.

I know there are hunderds of things in combination that could make the car feel down on power, do you think this is a good place to start? Does anyone have any comments on the VSR1 cat?

Ecu chip? That can make an instant seat of the pants improvement

Comment

Chip is currently stock. Recommendations on a chip that works well with a mostly stock car and 93 octane? Do have a K&N in addition to the Borla. Rest of the car is stock.

Comment

unfortunately this is the type of car you are dealing with. The car is pretty lifeless under 5000 RPM. It's a momentum car that should live at 5K RPM and above. With that said...it should not feel "laggy" though. It should spin freely and make good noise but just not go anywhere very quickly.
        Last edited by ///Mflossin; 08-30-2015, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Sounds about right.... Will a chip help or will it just open the rev limiter? Thinking about the VSR1 mid pipe as the existing cats are 27 years old. I suspect the cat "membrane" material is probably broken down and clogged at this point.

Comment

If you have original cats it's time to replace. I have the VSR center section and with a chip opens up the engine to what it should have been from the factory. Fit on the VSR is not perfect and you'll have to test fit often. Also have the parts welded together. Band clamps will result in leaks and annoying rattles.
            There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

What type of chip are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by njboy View Post
                If you have original cats it's time to replace. I have the VSR center section and with a chip opens up the engine to what it should have been from the factory. Fit on the VSR is not perfect and you'll have to test fit often. Also have the parts welded together. Band clamps will result in leaks and annoying rattles.
                +1
                I have the VSR non-cat exhaust into a stock muffler and fit was good, not perfect but good, (mating it to a stock muffler was the challenge for me).
                It rattled like crazy with band clamps until I welded it.
                the welding fixed everything, its perfect now.
                jimmy p.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                  What type of chip are you running?
                  The 93 octane iigomotive chip. They were sold here but don't remember his name. Better chip than the Turner for street driving.

Comment

I believe Jefrem Iwanu sold these at one time prior to his passing away. Luis Marques can get you the correct chip.

Comment

Yes, the SS91 Iigo chip is good, the ss93 is the way to go if you have 93 octane. I have the ss91 and the car feels good even with a tired engine. Shoot Luis an email, [email protected]. He might take awhile to get back to you. I've been thinking about doing the VSR center section with cats. The smog place doesn't look that closely to see if things are OEM here.

Will
                      '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
                      '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
                      '88 M3

Comment

Will,
                        Thanks so much for the email address. I sent a detailed message today and hope to hear back from Luis soon. I'm hoping the chip, cat, and O2 sensor will make a difference. If not, I need to start gathering parts for a 2.5 or a 2.7 build. I need more POWER!

TG

Comment

A 2.3L has good power. The IIgo chip won't give you much up top, but will in the midrange. I can say this, I have yet to lose on an autoX course to a newer M3 with street tires. (I've been beaten by a E92 on Hoosiers, but not by much.) The power is between 4000 and 7800 rpm, where a race motor should produce power. Yes, it takes a little getting used to if you drive a car that is all out of go at 5K. I find when I drive my girlfriends GTi that I'm cruising along in 2nd gear at 3500 rpm doing 30. It seems normal to me, but she is always bugging me to shift. My Datsun is like the M3 as well, power is 3500 and up, geared short.

Will
                          '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
                          '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
                          '88 M3

Comment

Ok, hopefully I can get a chip soon to improve midrange. That is where I need it. In the past, I owned a few X1/9s. One Fiat and one Bertone. You had to wind it all the way up to get at the 69hp. I love the Borla on the e30 M3 but it gets crazy loud at 6.5K. I'm wondering what the cat version of the VSR1 mid pipe will do to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

+1
                              I have the VSR non-cat exhaust into a stock muffler and fit was good, not perfect but good, (mating it to a stock muffler was the challenge for me).
                              It rattled like crazy with band clamps until I welded it.
                              the welding fixed everything, its perfect now.
                              +1000

This system while quality metal is not for the casual DIY. You need a saw, grinder, pipe expander, and a MIG welder. If you try to just "slap" in there you'll be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                              X