3rd brake light - broken clips - 3d print

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd brake light - broken clips - 3d print

Don't know if anyone else has this issue but the expanding rivets on my 3rd brake light holder are cracked and busted. Instead of rigging it up I got bored today and decided to draw the part up in CAD. I have access to a 3d printer and will be printing this part since it's impossible to find. If anyone else needs one let me know. If it fits well I'll print some more for those who need them. Pricing will just be to cover materials and some of my labor.. I'll see how it comes out first.

I may try to do the whole light assembly also and modify the angle for the windshield to fit a std e30, I think there are a bunch of people who have looked for this solution for a regular e30 but not found anything.

What other hard to find plastic parts do you think are needed in the market that could be 3d printed?

Mike

Good for you Mike, a perfect use of a 3D printer.

Comment

You could turn this into a very profitable business my friend... Fabricating NLA parts on a 3D printer = genius. Good luck!
      Id do a search of NLA parts and build up a database of CAD drawings and printed parts..

Too bad I know nothing of CAD design...

Comment

The little black plastic trim piece that attaches to the top of the rear interior door panel is nla/backordered and costs nearly $50. Very simple plastic piece.

#1 in this diagram - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_1389

Comment

Also #20 (cable holder) for a spark plug wire is nla as well. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_0806

Comment

Originally posted by Split_S View Post
            You could turn this into a very profitable business my friend... Fabricating NLA parts on a 3D printer = genius. Good luck!
            Id do a search of NLA parts and build up a database of CAD drawings and printed parts..

Too bad I know nothing of CAD design...
            I have access to a lab with solidworks but for simple stuff (like this part) you can use the web based program tinkercad @ www.tinkercad.com You can even draw the part on their web based software and then order a 3d print of it. The problem I have found with doing 3d prints of plastic parts in the past is that often you need to do some tweaking to the drawing after the first print to see what needs to be changed to make it fit so using their service you may buy the part several times before getting it right.

I finished this drawing last night and will try to print it this weekend. I'm happy to make some other parts but I need them in hand for measurement a detailed drawing to make them. Really the parts you can make is only limited by the bed size of the printer. I may even be able to do think like c-pillar trims which could then be covered in cloth for OEM appearance.

If there is anyone with some of these NLA parts they want to send me to draw and print for the benefit of the community please let me know.

Comment

I should mention, I may have some parts on my car I could take off, but my car has a motor swap so things like that spark plug holder clip I do not have.

Comment

My cars not running and in pieces as we speak, I could send off the parts to get done if I have them and as long as I get them back. let me know what you guys are looking for and I can rummage.

Comment

Working...
                X