Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardinal Red leather recover, don't like what's available today..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinal Red leather recover, don't like what's available today..

So I got a set of seats redone in cardinal red leather. When I got them I was not thrilled with the massive amount of texture in the leather. So I reached out to a few other suppliers, Gaah, leather specialties, and another I don't recall, and they all sent me samples of their cardinal red leather. See pic, the samples are an exact match of my redone seats. None of these would match up at all in texture with a factory rear seat, so what are folks doing, recovering everything? The second pic is the factory sytle smooth leather. Anybody have another source they can recommend that's not this new super textured stuff?
    Attached Files

My upholster sent me the same sample and told me he stretches the leather to make it less grainy. I opted for Nature instead and it has the same grain as the Cardinal.

The black sample was the only oem like grain option from all the samples I was given.

I will report back when my Nature is finished.

E30 M3: Stripey: AW track car 88'
    E30 M3: AW NC: 2.3 with Pete McHenry head 88’
    E30 M3: AW NH: 2.5 VSR1 Built 88’
    E36 M3 PTG built LTW: Euro S50B30, 365 HP 95’
    E36 3/4/5 AW Daily
    Dodge GLHT 1985....Fast
    D90: Land Rover Defender, AW 33k miles 97’
    2002: Arctic Silver, Blue, restored stock 76’
    944: SP1 Rothman Clone, 135 hp, 83’
    Jeep Trackhawk, absurdity defined 18’
    BMW M2C AW, 6 speed

Comment

Following with great interest. I need to swap my interior back from the black that it currently is to 0296. So I need to see what is the best replacement material for seats, door cards, and carpet.

Comment

Good to know I'm not alone. I'm even considering different shades of red to get the right look, but haven't found any very close to cardinal. Mind if I ask who's doing your upholstery?

Comment

I would try to contact Design Part on eBay. The guys name is Alexander Lenz.
          It would not be cheap, but he makes covers, and his work is stunning.

Comment

Try World upholstery in Santa Paula CA.http://www.worlduph.com/bmw/3_series/e30/sedan_coupe/ . A few years ago I bought a set of their cardinal covers for the front of my M3. Also bought some spray dye in cardinal for my back seat (leather was good but needed coloring). Color match in both cases was very good. texture on the kit was spot on & fit of the kit was excellent. I had talked with @ a dozen upholstery supply places @ had requested 4 samples then went with them..
            sigpic

Comment

The new front seat & headrest covers installed
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I have actually contacted design-part and am waiting on a sample. I'll reach out to World upholstery as well.

Comment

I live in KY. I used a local guy that upholsters street rods. His resume was as thick as a dictionary. He sent a sample of my original leather to his supplier and I was extremely happy with the leather they supplied. His upholstery work was first class as well.

Comment

They look darker. Do you have a pic taken together with the door card? I want to see how well the color matches.

Originally posted by eddie_e30m3 View Post
                    I live in KY. I used a local guy that upholsters street rods. His resume was as thick as a dictionary. He sent a sample of my original leather to his supplier and I was extremely happy with the leather they supplied. His upholstery work was first class as well.

Comment

The door card is a little darker and the seats are a little more red. I'm also not sure how close the door cards are to the original color. All in all I'm happy with them.

Comment

Those do look nice! Did he make patterns off your old covers?

Comment

So I've reached out to more suppliers and hit a dead end. Looks like nobody has anything in the cardinal color and old style smoother texture. The closest for texture might be Alexander Lenz's stuff, but it's a little too purple and also has a hard vinyl like feel to the surface. Here's a sample of everything I've collected, Gahh, World upholstery, Auto custom, Lenz, and the finished seat is ZoomZoom's. As you can see, everything in the actual cardinal color is exactly the same in both color and texture. To me it looks like Gaah, World, Auto custom, and Zoom, all get their stuff from the same place, it's identical. Click image for larger version

Name:	1-cardinal.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1239771

Comment

What is the closest match to the black leather in the E30 M3?

Comment

Working...
                            X