• Show
Clear All

• help with CPS wiring

hi

im fixing my broken plugs from 3 cps sensors , i got 3 bosch new plugs ,

my question is which color goes to which pin in the plug

thanks

3 colors , black , yellow and steel

If you remove the boot from the female connector, the wire colours are the same.

Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

According to the 1990 BMW M3 electrical trouble shooting manual I have, yellow goes to pin 1 and black goes to pin 2. It doesn't list the wire color for pin three, but you should be able to guess that one . FYI the third wire is a connection for the wire shield. One side of the connector should have the pins labeled. This is for the Engine Speed Sensor that senses the flywheel teeth. Although it looks like the Cylinder Identification Sensor has the same colors going to the same pins.

You can probably find PDF of the electrical trouble shooting manual online for free. I bought a hard copy years ago here on the forum. It is very helpful. I'd recommend you pay for an electronic copy or hard copy if you can't find one for free.

Brad

Edit:
      Hey, Steve's reply wasn't there when I opened this thread! Good thing he answered too. I was too lazy to post the wiring diagram images.

Comment

thanks both my friends , problem solved

Comment

I discovered the same connector problem, as E30M3507, when my E30 M would not start. Can someone give me the part or kit number for these BOSCH connectors and where they can be purchased? Thanks!

Comment

I'm pretty sure the plug is #3 on this diagram
            https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=12_1512

ECS Tuning has them in stock
            https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/12521706096/

If you need new pins they're probably on this page somewhere. I don't know which ones.
            https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...MW-M3&mg=61#15

Comment

Thanks Mick. I will check it out. I called ECS and they could not identify the male end of the connector and have no way of getting the BMW part number. I stopped by the BMW part department and they spent 20 minutes trying to fine the connection mate, but no success. Still trying to locate this part. Nevertheless, I came across this connector issue by mistake. I was trying to locate the fuel relay to track down a no engine start, and pulled the wrong cover off. I am glad I did, because these connectors need to be fixed. Seems like this is a common problem with this connector housing at this location. I have a questions: Does anyone know what component these 3 connectors operate?

E30M3507 - If you are still out there, please let me know where you were able to locate the male connectors.

Comment

Having redone all connectors male/female in the engine bay harness, the majority if not ALL are simple JPT (Junior power timer) connectors.

https://www.maxxecu.com/store/engine...male-bosch-jpt

This link above has the male/female connectors, pins and boot.

Some of the original plugs are grey, brown and blue.. you can find those on ebay or in UK from TYCO

Comment

The male end of the connector is integral to the flywheel reference sensor. Are you trying to replace those? If so, why not just buy new sensors? They're not that expensive compared to how much time and effort you will spend trying to replace the connectors on old sensors. High mileage sensors go can fail so it's not a bad idea to replace them proactively anyway.

If what you're trying to do is repair the engine harness side, those would be the female connector.

Comment

My problem is with the sensor connection housings, just like photo #3 that E30m3507 provided above. I want to identify the problem before I start replacing parts. It would be quicker and cheaper to fix the connectors, than buying 3 new sensors. If I am able to fix these 3 sensors, then that would eliminate the connections as the issue. The problem may still be a bad CPS, Cylinder, and/or Speed sensor, but not because of the connection. I'm going to order the connectors dudley123 provided and see what happens. I will post the results. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM1450 View Post
                      My problem is with the sensor connection housings, just like photo #3 that E30m3507 provided above. I want to identify the problem before I start replacing parts. It would be quicker and cheaper to fix the connectors, than buying 3 new sensors. If I am able to fix these 3 sensors, then that would eliminate the connections as the issue. The problem may still be a bad CPS, Cylinder, and/or Speed sensor, but not because of the connection. I'm going to order the connectors dudley123 provided and see what happens. I will post the results. Thanks.
                      Did you cut the molded connectors off the sensor side? I would have just replaced the two bell housing sensors with factory built ones to eliminate user error..

T

Comment

Made calls to shops and distributors all across the country, but was unable to locate the hardware. The parts would have to be ordered direct from Maxx ECU and thru a distributor. That may be my only option. ECS wants $225 for the CPS and BMW quoted $202/each for the 2 speed sensors. However, there is some good news. I install the pins into the connectors, making sure that they don't touch each other or anything metal. The car started. I put in about 5 gallons of clean gas and injection cleaner. I let it run for about 15 minutes. Turning it off and on 5 times. I only drove it in and out of the garage. I don't want to put it on the road until I get the housings that would make the connections secure. Thanks to everyone for your help and recommendations. I'm sure I will be back on this forum looking for advice. Take Care and Be Safe!

Comment

I'm confused, what does Maxx have to do with this?

I don't know why you're putting yourself through all that when new sensors are $43, and you only need 2 of them. The 3rd is for diagnostics only.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...r-priced-each/
                          Last edited by Mick; 12-22-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

To Handble: No, I did not cut the connector moldings. When I removed the cover, this was the condition of the connectors.

To Mick: The prices I got from BMW and ECS for OEM sensors were much higher that what Turner is showing. That is why I was going down the path of fixing the connectors. If Turner parts are OEM, then I will go with them for all 3 sensors. Everything that I have read strongly recommends that replacement sensors should be OEM. The 3rd sensor my be for diagnostics only and may not be necessary, but I want to keep the vehicle as original as possible. I will contact Turner tomorrow. Thanks for the Turner lead.

Comment

OEM would be Bosch. If you Google the part number you'll find tons of sites that sell the Bosch sensor. I don't know why ECS told you they were $225 when their site has them listed for $70

Comment

Working...
                              X