No announcement yet.

Starter motor options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the starter mounting face on the block to the edge of the flywheel ring gear I got 31mm....plus or minus .5mm as it was a bit awkward to measure.

With the 12mm spacer machined down to 4.5mm....I have 2.7mm clearance between the "resting" starter gear and the flywheel teeth.

So when I originally installed the starter...I had 10.2mm clearance....way outside spec and definitely the source of my trouble.

Comment

Many thanks for the info mate. I will check mine and see how they compare.

"But most of all...
      ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

Had about 4mm of contact on mine as seen by the pic. No real noticeable damage to the JB flywheel teeth.
        Contacted Brise and asked for the 5mm spacer asap. I'm a machinist and could do it myself but I don't think I should have to.
        A huge thankyou Ironhead for picking this up and alerting everyone.
        If you're ever in Australia let me know and I'll buy you a beer or 6

"But most of all...

Comment

Take another photo when the 5mm spacer arrives for comparison. Thanks.
          Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
          '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
          '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
          '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
          '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
          '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
          '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

The fact that it's a major pain in the ass to remove the back bolt on the starter makes me think that won't happen....lol
            I'll just assume that the "extra" 7mm of contact will provide a much greater distribution of load on the gear.

"But most of all...

Comment

Did the job myself. Machined down to 5mm. Also founds the six mounting screws for the flange were all loose.
              Contacted Brise with a "not so happy" rant. See what happens.

"But most of all...

Comment

Originally posted by Az in Oz View Post
                Did the job myself. Machined down to 5mm. Also founds the six mounting screws for the flange were all loose.
                Contacted Brise with a "not so happy" rant. See what happens.
                I'm guessing you are going on the "ignore" list....as I apparently have.

And I didn't even get to rant at them.....

Comment

Yeah, been two days now...no response.
                  Pity, because I think these are a really nice unit and they should realise that the E30M3 community are a fairly tight knit bunch of people......anyway...we'll see.

"But most of all...

Comment

Hopefully, they make the revisions and improve the product if nothing else. They should be thanking you guys for bringing the the problem to their attention.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                    89 M3 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZ
                    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
                      Hopefully, they make the revisions and improve the product if nothing else. They should be thanking you guys for bringing the the problem to their attention.
                      That's kind of what pisses me off. I didn't even ask them for anything....just said "hey the 12mm spacer was wrong on my car I machined it down to 4.5mm that seemed to be correct if my car is typical you might want to make a correction on your site......."

I would have been happy with "Ok, thanks" from them....they couldn't be bothered to even say that.

Comment

That's a shit go..............very poor form.

"But most of all...

Comment

Ok so after the shitfight that resulted from me taking out the starter and machining the spacer myself ( I dropped a TB o'ring and whilst looking for it noticed my Vorshlag engine mounts were falling apart so had to replace them is situ......if you saw my garage you'd understand what a shit fight that was) I sent an email to Tim Brise asking for perhaps a little compensation for doing his job for him.......here's the response:

Hi Aaron,
                          I am sorry that you experienced problems and grateful that you were able to sort them out yourself.
                          If you ever need any further products from us you can be sure that we will offer you a discount to compensate you for the extra work required.

Regards
                          Tim Brise

Great product...but not real happy with aftersales customer service...............end of story.

PS...The site still says 12mm spacer for the S14.....sheesh!!!!!

"But most of all...

Comment

Yeah....it's kind of one of those deals where he talks really nice...but it's all syrup and no pancakes.

In one of the emails to me he said something like "we sell starters to professional racing teams" like that meant there could not possibly be any fault on their end.

Still though....once the spacing was sorted....it does seem like a good product.
                            Last edited by Ironhead; 09-02-2016, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I ordered a Brise starter and this is definitely something you want to check pinion engagement with the flywheel gear. This may be a pain in the ass to do with the engine and tranny in the car, luckily for me everything thing is sitting on the floor of the garage.

Looking at David Pan's pictures above I think that Brise has redesigned the adapter and I had to remove the 5mm spacer to achieve proper engagement.

Here is a picture measuring what I thought was the spacer but really is distance between the mounting face and the end of the adapter:
                              (not) spacer size by chris tsay, on Flickr

The spacer is directly above where the caliper is measuring.

With the 5mm spacer installed the pinion was not extending far enough:
                              Brise Starter engagement with 5mm spacer by chris tsay, on Flickr

I emailed with Tim and he was very prompt in his response, the first being that I wasn't measuring the spacer and a 2nd response suggesting that I remove the spacer.

With the spacer removed we are all good, enough clearance at rest:
                              Brise starter by chris tsay, on Flickr

and good teeth engagement when extended:
                              Brise Starter by chris tsay, on Flickr

Bellhousing and starter all bolted together ready to drop back in the car (!!!) Used some M10 SHCS for the starter bolts, I didn't TimeSert the Brise.

Brise Starter by chris tsay, on Flickr

An added benefit of the Brise is that it's freed up the shallow M10 threaded boss for the knock sensor. Near the middle of the engine, away from the timing components, and on the cold side of the motor.

-chris

-chris

1988 M3
                              2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Yeah...I am pretty happy with it now that the spacing is sorted.

I see you switched the starter bolts to Allen bolts. Me too. Sure makes life easier. Why BMW did not just do that from the factory is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                                X