No announcement yet.

Stereo speaker recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you could give me the dimensions, that would be great.
    1991 BMW M3 Alpinweiss
    1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 20b Black
    1990 Corvette ZR1
    1987 Ferrari Testarossa
    2007 Maserati QuattroporteAccount

Comment

• erikm54life
      erikm54life commented
      Editing a comment
      I currently have JL Audio speakers in my M5 and was thinking of doing the same for the M3........really good sound and they fit the factory dimensions

I have the Rainbow SLC 230 5.25s in the rear, and the SLX 235 5.25s with the tweeters up front. They are made in Germany, and are very quality pieces. I have a separate 10 inch no name sub in the trunk in a very small box. Could it be better? Yes. Do I still have 95% of my trunk space? Yes.

Here is a review of the SLCs http://hertzcaraudio6.blogspot.com/2...component.html

Will
    '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
    '88 M3

Comment

Eric... Which JL's do you have or that you would put in the M3? Also, which M5 do you have out of curiosity? I still hanker after an 88, but have way too many toys and only a 5 bay garage.

Thanks, Will. I am checking on these. Look like these are another good choice. Where do you have the tweeters mounted? They look like they are separate from the mid range woofers?

Gordon
      1991 BMW M3 Alpinweiss
      1990 Corvette ZR1
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa

Comment

I used GAS recommendations. E34 tweeters, local passover crossover networks. 8 inch JL Audio sub speaker in a GAS sub box and a JL Audio amp in a GAS amp rack. Kenwood 998 head unit. Awesome result.

Comment

Originally posted by gmonsen View Post
          Eric... Which JL's do you have or that you would put in the M3? Also, which M5 do you have out of curiosity? I still hanker after an 88, but have way too many toys and only a 5 bay garage.

Thanks, Will. I am checking on these. Look like these are another good choice. Where do you have the tweeters mounted? They look like they are separate from the mid range woofers?

Gordon
          For the rears I used the stock tweeters. I ran them through a crossover however. On the fronts, I used the stock locations, removed the stock tweeters and spent 2 minutes with a dremel tool to open the housing up just enough to slip the Rainbow tweeters in. You would never know that the system isn't stock unless you looked very closely at the tweeters, or pulled the grills off the other factory locations. One of these days I'll buy a better head unit, but I'm not in any big rush to do that. I have an older Sony in there now and it works. (installed by the previous owner.)

Will
          '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
          '88 M3

Comment

I found an NOS Precision Power Art Series 600 and am going to use that for an amp. I have the NOS QSD 213's that I now think I'll use in the front. All I need to do is decide on some fill coaxial 2-way for the rear shelf. Or, what about 2 smaller subwoofers?
            1991 BMW M3 Alpinweiss
            1990 Corvette ZR1
            1987 Ferrari Testarossa

Comment

• e30m2
              e30m2 commented
              Editing a comment
              I was told build a false wall with two 10" subs u really would not lose much space only a few inch in the trunk if done right. but u would be adding about 35-40 lbs so u can remove the spare to compensate. or just build in the spare well

The type R's are good and i believe they fit fine. Focals are great i don't think they make speakers small enough to fit the rear deck speaker covers. Also i think the kick panels have to be modified a little. I will be putting in a sound system next week. I am going to remove the spare tire and build it all in there i think. Im not trying to add much weight but i was told by my very reputable Audio guy its almost not worth it if i don't do a sub or subs. If i remove the rear wheel i should have about 25-30 lbs to work with i think. Ill keep you posted.

Comment

Okay. Almost done. I installed the Nakamichi CD400 for my head unit, the Precision Power A404 amp, which is 4 channels times 50 watts RMS, KEF Q130 2-ways in the kick panels, and JL C5 570 CW 5x7 midrange only on the rear shelf. The JL's handle 48-5000hz and are very tight. Not quite subs, but good enough for me. Should have it finished up in the next few days. It will look very stock and you'll only see the 5x7 oval speaker grilles on the rear shelf. The Nakamichi is a great head unit and since the front is matte black with amber lighting, it almost looks stock.

G
              1991 BMW M3 Alpinweiss
              1990 Corvette ZR1
              1987 Ferrari Testarossa

Comment

Does the Nakamichi have an auxiliary input? I've thought about picking one up for my car, but I couldn't see an aux input so I could run an MP3 player.

Will
                '88 M3

Comment

No. The CD400 doesn't handle MP3's. However, I have a a CD500 in my Corvette and it reads MP3's. It will store 256 folders and 999 files. It is hard to find CD500's new, though you can. You can get nice used ones on ebay. I have had many head units over time and the 400/500's are the best I have heard for music sound quality. Not sure they have ever been surpassed.

G
                  1991 BMW M3 Alpinweiss
                  1990 Corvette ZR1
                  1987 Ferrari Testarossa

Comment

Working...
                  X