Switched from 16s to 15s, now I understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switched from 16s to 15s, now I understand

Now I know what everyone was talking about with original 15s. The car just drives a LOT nicer, and feels right. I used to run e38 16"s and the ride quality was just garbage. Im guessing cutting my bumpstops on my bilsteins might help a bit, but for now Im sticking with 15s

Smart man. I made the switch from 17x8 to 15x8's years ago and never looked back. More fun to drive, more lively and cheaper tire costs! For the track, I run 234/45/15 DOT-R slicks.

Comment

What wheels are the 15s? You may be feeling the reduction in unsprung mass considering how heavy factory wheels are

Comment

Originally posted by ItsNotTheNissan View Post
        What wheels are the 15s? You may be feeling the reduction in unsprung mass considering how heavy factory wheels are
        I went from e38 16" weaves to stock 15" weaves

Comment

I went the opposite, 15 to 16 to 17. 15 felt & looked shitty along with the tire flexing on the twisters, 17 felt grippy, bumpy, and tight. 16 is right smack in the middle and perfect.

Comment

My car had 17s, and drove like crap. Installed 15s and the car was 100% better in every way. Went to 16s in order to run roll center spacers, its slower, less agile, gets worse mileage, and I want my 15s back. Still, I want my roll center spacers and I haven't figured out how to keep those and go back to the 15s.

Will
            '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
            '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by SlideM3 View Post
              I went the opposite, 15 to 16 to 17. 15 felt & looked shitty along with the tire flexing on the twisters, 17 felt grippy, bumpy, and tight. 16 is right smack in the middle and perfect.
              What is your suspension and tire setup?

Comment

Noticeable diff going from 3 piece 17x8 to light 1 piece 16x8 in both acceleration and handling. Would consider stock 15s, but I also prefer to retain my roll spacers. The main downwide is the lack of tire options.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                97 Porsche Carrera S
                13 Audi S6
                SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Roll center spacers didnt make a noticeable difference for me.

Comment

During normal street driving, no you likely won't notice a difference, especially if you are running stock suspension since that is the correct suspension geometry If you lower the car, then you start running into issues. I do autocross my car from time to time, and now that I've got everything where I want it to be, the car is fast, and just about the easiest thing to drive fast I've ever driven. It has zero bad habits, totally neutral through corners, but will tuck the nose in with a quick lift or step the back out with power. The only thing now that I'd like to do is go back to the 15s and go even faster. My BBS Rks look great, but they aren't as fast as the stock 15s. I'd love to see if a set of Kosei K1s would clear the tie rod end but I don't know anyone locally with a set for me to try. With the stock 15s running a set of 225/45/15 Hankook RS3s I was able to beat guys on Hoosier A7s (that was with the wrong suspension geometry and spring rates that were too low.)

Will
                    '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
                    '88 M3

Comment

I prefer 16, 225-45 are the perfect combination for good acceleration and handling.

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post

What is your suspension and tire setup?
                        My suspension setup is full GC coilovers street kit with welded-on & shortened front sleeves. Spring rates are 375 frt and 475 rear, the softest. Some people here complain and say stock 15 in wheels are faster. Well of course because they are lighter than 16 and 17. If you source a good "soft" coilovers set up with adjustable dampeners and light weight 16 or 17 wheels, the overall car weight does not differ much to the stock 15 wheels. Your handling from the 16s will be much better and the wheel width will fill the boxy fenders better too.

If you ever decide to sell your car, put back the 15 in.

Comment

Originally posted by SlideM3 View Post

My suspension setup is full GC coilovers street kit with welded-on & shortened front sleeves. Spring rates are 375 frt and 475 rear, the softest. Some people here complain and say stock 15 in wheels are faster. Well of course because they are lighter than 16 and 17. If you source a good "soft" coilovers set up with adjustable dampeners and light weight 16 or 17 wheels, the overall car weight does not differ much to the stock 15 wheels. Your handling from the 16s will be much better and the wheel width will fill the boxy fenders better too.

If you ever decide to sell your car, put back the 15 in.
                          I see. I dont have intentions to ever cut up the stock strut housings on my car, but if anyone has a set up with uncut strut housings that makes 16" wheels bearable, Id love to know!

Comment

I'd be very interested to see how a car with 375# springs drives. With the H&R race springs my car was WAY under spring. Double that and its good. I tried 3 different spring rates before going with the Turner J stocks, and it was the Turner springs that finally didn't bottom over every imperfection in the road, including driving over the 1 inch lip pulling into my garage. I tried 3 different damper setups as well. The one M3 I have driven on ground controls seemed unsettled and nervous. It would skip over small imperfections. It was very strange and did not instill confidence. I figured the Spec E30 suspension would be fantastic since they based a whole race class around it. It was WAY too soft for my car. I'm really curious why.

Will
                            '88 M3

Comment

When I was making more or less permanent choices about wheel size, it was easier because at that time there were almost no tires available in 16". I went to TireRack and at that time I think there were two tires in 16" that could work on the car....and NO track tires. While I agree 16" might be the ideal compromise, it made no sense if one could not get tires.... So I went with 17" and cannot go back because smaller wheels won't fit over my brakes.

That was around 10 years ago, and I am curious what has changed since then to increase the availability of 16" tires.

I agree there is something really fun about 15" though...particularly with a very light 15" wheel. Car feels very lively, although I am not sure that translates into "faster".
                              Last edited by Ironhead; 07-13-2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X