Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I (almost) rented my M3

(No affiliation)

While I was at work, I was browsing discretely on the internet and found this website that allow you to rent you classic car

I have to try it and my wife will be so happy if I can make some money (finally) with my "old" cars

After few weeks, I finally received a mail!

------------------------------
    Hello!

I'm interested in possibly renting your car for a film shoot on Sunday in Ridge Wood NJ. The car would be parked the entire time. An actor would enter the car and sit in the driver's seat.

Let me know your interest/availability in bringing it to set.

Cheers!
    --------------------------------

Price was low ($190 for a morning but the car won't be driven at all) but sadly I was abroad and could not deliver the M3 :-(

Saying that I love the idea and I think it's a great concept not only to make some $ but also to be able to try a classic before buying it

If you want to check out my M3: https://classicsandexotics.com/car/223/ :-)

William

I dunno...

Allowing the car to be under anyone else's control...even if they claim they will not be driving it....for $190....seems to me like a very poor risk/benefit balance.

If they are driving it...clown around and miss a shift...grenade the engine....who pays the $10K+ bill for a new S14?

Comment

Very good question, Let me reach out and ask them

william

Comment

Also, since the car is being rented, which is commercial use?, most if not all insurance co's won't cover if they crash it.

Comment

very clean car. i would never rent such car. i own body shop and i deal with insurance companies. they won't pay cuz u did commercial deal. and lets assume he have insurance. he would have state limit $25k. thats all u get if total. # 2 if they don't low ball u say it work 15k or so... make ur self a fav. and u enjoy it alone...

Comment

I don't worry about the insurance, if you use their website, you car is going to be automatically insured by Hagerty, both for rent and for commercial use

Comment

There is a new app call turo where you can rent alot of different cars for driving use. Its like airbnb for your car. We used it on a trip to san francisco to rent a porsche 03' boxster for around $150/day. I also saw a bmw 2002 on there in san fran that looked pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike185 View Post
                There is a new app call turo where you can rent alot of different cars for driving use. Its like airbnb for your car. We used it on a trip to san francisco to rent a porsche 03' boxster for around $150/day. I also saw a bmw 2002 on there in san fran that looked pretty cool.
                I honestly don't get that....

Only a car enthusiast would put up with the downsides and hassles of owning an old classic car like a 2002....and how would an enthusiast be willing to rent their pride and joy to any idiot that wants to take it out and abuse it?

It doesn't add up for me.

Comment

I'n not convinced that someone renting a 2002 is an idiot. To some extend he has to be an enthusiast to rent an old car

Comment

Originally posted by xilly View Post
                    I'n not convinced that someone renting a 2002 is an idiot. To some extend he has to be an enthusiast to rent an old car
                    My point is that it certainly could be an idiot....I use that word because you would not really have any idea what sort of person it might be....might be wise to assume the worst.

Even many enthusiasts would not care for a car rented from someone they don't know with anything like the care they would for their own car.

But hey, if you want to put your M3 or whatever up for rent....do it. I'm just saying it isn't for me.

Comment

Here is the car, listed at $225/day. I don't think the guy is an idiot, he COULD be, but given the type of car and the ad i'd say the odds are better than the general population (which is only about 50/50 at best) that he is not an idiot. I would argue someone renting their 2014 m6 for $200/day (also available) is taking a much bigger risk. With the 2002, to most people its just a slow old bmw. The only people who would shell out $225 to rent one for the day are enthusiasts, and even then how much trouble can you get in with 140hp vs. 450?

https://turo.com/car-rental/burlingame/bmw-2002/92765

https://turo.com/car-rental/dublin/bmw-m6/122601

He's renting a car worth maybe 15-20k for $225/day and it's most likely paid for and insured for damage by turo. The guy renting the m6 probably owes more than it's worth to the bank and is going to get all kinds of parties wanting to go fast and impress their friends...

All that said, you wont ever find anything I own on that side or one like it, to many morons out there. But it is a great site to find cool cars if you are ever traveling in that area,

Comment

My fear would be having the engine over rev'd and dealing with some unknown engine issue downstream.
                        There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

Hi William- I made a posting in the general section after seeing your car for rent.

I like the idea of renting a vintage automobile, try before you buy? Please be careful it looks like a very nice car.

Comment

Working...
                          X