Storing engine parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing engine parts

Over the last couple of years i have been purchasing parts for my ground up 2.5lt build. The Crank, Cam Tray, Block (all new) and Head (rebuilt Stage 2, ready to bolt on) arrived 2 months ago and the new build will occur in about 2 years time.
    For the moment i have applied oil on the block (bores and top) and wrapped it in a couple of plastic bags. I open this once every 2 months and re apply oil. For the Crank, Cam Tray and Head i have done the same as the Block, however i have placed these in vacuum sealed bags. These items are stored standing up to hopefully avoid any warping.
    Has anyone else stored parts like this for a long time and if so what have you done to avoid any surface rust?

Thanks
    Dennis

I bought a stock block that was stored for years, the inside of the cylinders walls is coated with a heavy thick grease, I would do the same thing to all the parts.

Comment

• 87m3
      87m3 commented
      Editing a comment
      what type of grease did you use?

If you can stash them indoors in a place with climate control that keeps the ambient humidity down they'll probably be fine like that for a while. Temp swings + high humidity = condensation.

All of that sounds like it would fit in a bedroom closet fine. Throw some desiccant bags in for some added margin.

-chris
    1988 M3
    2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Based on others, I bought LPS2 to store my engine components and placed them inside a bag. It's like a think tacky cosmoline.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
      97 Porsche Carrera S
      13 Audi S6
      SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
      GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

I think we are making a bit more out of this than it really is...

Coat them in a product like WD40....keep them somewhere dry....check them every 6 months or thereabouts. Job done.

Comment

Boeshield works well and is an easy cleanup.
          There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

Working...
          X