Lightweight Cam Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight Cam Gears

So my mechanic friend decided to have a set of cam gears lightened. Haven't seen anything like this done before so was curious what people thought? Cool idea? Waste of time/money? Going to blow up at 7500 rpm?

Hope they are at least balanced, blow up I could not tell you.
    Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

I would say MAJOR waste of time and money. If you compare the rotating mass of the rest of the engine....parts like the crank, flywheel, crank pulley etc....I don't think technology exists to even measure the difference a few ounces off the cam gears would make. It would be like taking half the weight removed from the cam gears (half because the flywheel moves twice as fast)....and taking if off of the flywheel....near the center. Beyond insignificant.

I doubt it will make the cam gears fail though.

That is a lot of machining for nothing. It does look kind of cool....too bad the cam gears don't show....

If the mechanic seriously tries to argue there is any benefit from that....I would find a new mechanic as he has no clue.
      Last edited by Ironhead; 08-01-2016, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
        I would say MAJOR waste of time and money. If you compare the rotating mass of the rest of the engine....parts like the crank, flywheel, crank pulley etc....I don't think technology exists to even measure the difference a few ounces off the cam gears would make. It would be like taking half the weight removed from the cam gears (half because the flywheel moves twice as fast)....and taking if off of the flywheel....near the center. Beyond insignificant.

That is a lot of machining for nothing. It does look kind of cool....too bad the cam gears don't show....

If the mechanic seriously tries to argue there is any benefit from that....I would find a new mechanic as he has no clue.
        This was basically my conclusion as well, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

...Soon to follow, Lexan valve cover - less heat transfer, less mass up high, and you can see your newly machined cam gears!
          Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Working...
          X