Cooling Fan help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Fan help

I am having issues with the auxillary fan constantly running. When I first got it back on the road, it would occasionally run but then shut off. Then it would run until I disconnected the battery. Once I hooked the battery back up, the fan was fine. Now whenver the battery is hooked up, the fan constantly runs.

I just found my ETM and I amgoing to look at it tonight. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ryan

Ryan M
    88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
    07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
    05 Outback XT

If it is constantly running I would say the likely culprit is the switch on the thermostat....stuck closed.

You know that the fan will always be on if your A/C is turned on, right?

Comment

Thanks

Yes I was aware on the AC. It's running with the ignition off, AC buttom also not turned on. I will look at the thermostat tonight.
      Ryan M
      88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
      07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
      05 Outback XT

Comment

After looking at the schematics, I would assume it would be #18, the dual temp switch? Does that sound right?

Thanks again
        BMW parts 3' E30 M3 COOLING SYSTEM-THERMOSTAT/WATER HOSES
        Ryan M
        88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
        07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
        05 Outback XT

Comment

yes, its the 3 prong sensor on the thermostat, #18 in that diagram

Comment

Thanks. Going to work on it tonight.

Ryan M
            88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
            07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
            05 Outback XT

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan M View Post
              Thanks

Yes I was aware on the AC. It's running with the ignition off, AC buttom also not turned on. I will look at the thermostat tonight.
              If the fan is still running with the ignition switched off, you have problems unrelated to a bad temp switch.

Comment

I did a quick check on a list i got from a tech. I pulled fuse # 19, still running. I disconnected the switch, still running. Pulled the K6 relay, still running.

Weird one. Going to have to spend some time with the books and a voltmeter.

Thanks again
                Ryan
                Ryan M
                88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
                07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
                05 Outback XT

Comment

Something or a switch remains closed as in it should be open. This switch/sensor is direct feeding power into the fan.
                  Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
                  '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
                  '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
                  '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
                  '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
                  '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
                  '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan M View Post
                    I did a quick check on a list i got from a tech. I pulled fuse # 19, still running. I disconnected the switch, still running. Pulled the K6 relay, still running.

Weird one. Going to have to spend some time with the books and a voltmeter.

Thanks again
                    Ryan
                    Pulled the battery and it's still running? Go get a patent...
                    Sounds like if it's not following the schematic is it an aftermarket fan? Or worse something terribly wrong with your wiring harness. Melted insulation. I remember having to repair wiring around the thermostat sensors when I first purchased my car.
                    There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

This is with the battery connected. It does shut off when I pull the battery.

I'll start chasing down the wiring next

Ryan M
                      88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
                      07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
                      05 Outback XT

Comment

I've worked on a good bit of cars coming in the shop dead (due to fan not shutting off). Most of the time it's the fan itself (resisters are located in the fan) and they short out. I've also seen a fan burn/melt due to this before. But if your saying you pulled the 'correct' fuse to power the fan, and it still runs. Then you have a short somewhere. I would first make sure that you pulled the correct fuse. If so, start pulling fuses, once the fan stops running follow the circuit of the fuse you just pulled.

Good luck,
                        Mario

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I am out of town for a couple of days and then I will mess with it again.

Ryan M
                          88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
                          07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
                          05 Outback XT

Comment

Originally posted by ttr125mar View Post
                            I've worked on a good bit of cars coming in the shop dead (due to fan not shutting off). Most of the time it's the fan itself (resisters are located in the fan) and they short out. I've also seen a fan burn/melt due to this before. But if your saying you pulled the 'correct' fuse to power the fan, and it still runs. Then you have a short somewhere. I would first make sure that you pulled the correct fuse. If so, start pulling fuses, once the fan stops running follow the circuit of the fuse you just pulled.

Good luck,
                            Mario
                            excellent advice here

Comment

Originally posted by ttr125mar View Post

Good luck,
                              Mario
                              Thanks again for this help. I pulled them all and found when I pulled #3 it shut off. #3 powers the K1 normal speed relay. I pulled that relay and the fan shut off. I swapped it with another relay and it didn't come back on. I put the K1 relay into the K6 which is the High Speed relay, but the fan didn't start up. I'll keep an eye on it, but I am going to order a new relay just to be safe.

Thanks for everyone's help. Still can't find my ETM, but found it online.

Ryan M
                              88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
                              07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
                              05 Outback XT

Comment

Working...
                              X