No announcement yet.

what is this car worth in 25 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I so hate what its worth discussions. Its worth what the owner wants for it,,, at the time the owner puts it up for sale,,, then the owner decide what it would take to get it away from him.
    For example,,, that red E30M3 "custom" that was just on BAT. Someone offfered $36K for that car,,,, and that was not enough to get it away from the owner. To me that car was worth the core value of a head, block crank, a 265 CR, the front struts and a rear subframe w/ diff, the rest was a write off.

I will add my $0.02 in that I dont think the E36 is a truck. Its build quality is complete POS, but ones that are still together do drive pretty well.
    They have becomes the defacto track toy in the bmw track world and they can be blisteringly fast (if you can keep the entire rear end and floor from falling out, and the cooling system from turning to dust). At least they do self track prep by self shedding their interiors and window mechanisms.

The e46s are a bit better, but way more complex to keep running than even the E36s. I bought my first E46 this past year and the nuances of E46 ownership are mind numbing compared to E30 and even E36 ownership.
    I joined E46 Fanatics and read that forum night and day for months. I cant get over the nooks and crannies of potential failure in that car. When working right its a nice car, drives well and is enjoyable.
    There must be over 100 THREADS on just keeping the cooling system working,,, and how much coolant to put in the damn car, forgetting the dozens of threads on the PCV system, the headlights, the tail lights, the vanos, the interior parts peeling, the rear floor & suspension mounting cracking / failing (again 2 series in a row).

We E30 lovers,,, dont have to contend with any of that really.
    Last edited by jimmy p.; 09-29-2018, 06:44 AM.
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I recently got an E46 touring and am also learning my way around it. I like the inline 6 and yeah when everything's working it's great. It seems to be designed for the dealer to maintain - basic tasks require special knowledge but once you learn the procedures many things are very easy. Having to pull out the spare tire just to remove the battery is frustrating. Apparently the entire cooling system is a consumable.

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

The e46s are a bit better, but way more complex to keep running than even the E36s. I bought my first E46 this past year and the nuances of E46 ownership are mind numbing compared to E30 and even E36 ownership.
      I joined E46 Fanatics and read that forum night and day for months. I cant get over the nooks and crannies of potential failure in that car. When working right its a nice car, drives well and is enjoyable.
      There must be over 100 THREADS on just keeping the cooling system working,,, and how much coolant to put in the damn car, forgetting the dozens of threads on the PCV system, the headlights, the tail lights, the vanos, the interior parts peeling, the rear floor & suspension mounting cracking / failing (again 2 series in a row).

Comment

In 25 years you can put a supercharged battery or hydrogen to power these m3 because gas will be gone that or wait till back to the future 12 comes out and ride your hover board
        mike

Comment

Originally posted by evommm View Post
          In 25 years you can put a supercharged battery or hydrogen to power these m3 because gas will be gone that or wait till back to the future 12 comes out and ride your hover board
          mike

........"crickets chirping"............"awkward silence"............LOL

Comment

I think that gasoline is too big a commodity with regards to political leveraging for it to go away anytime soon. There are so many remote parts of the world still that need a simple fuel. I would think that gas should be around for another 50 years....

Comment

I understand what your saying but look at the recent history of electricity theywent from zero to f1 style racing in a couple of years as far as remote areas electricity offers a cheaper almost free servicing using solar
              I love my gasoline but even Porsche is trying to beat Tesla at its own game

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

The e46 M3 is a considerably simpler and easier car to work on than the non M e46s. I have two s54 powered cars (M3 converted wagon and an M3 coupe) as well as an M54 car, and I despise working on the M54-- the engine is a huge PITA compared to the S54, the cooling system is far more flakey, the exhaust isn't sectional... every project on the non M takes at least twice as long and more PITA stuff than the M3 equivalent.

... and M3forum is a 800x better better forum than e46 fanatics :P

Comment

However much more the dollar devalues should help indicate how many more it takes to buy one in 25 years.
                  Gas was only a nickle not because it was easier to extract and refine petroleum with 70 yr old technology but rather the dollar could buy more.
                  So will you REALLY make money or just break even?
                  Nobody has a crystal ball but hey even if you break even you fought off inflation!

Comment

Working...
                  X