Announcement

Collapse

SIGFEST 2017, Please join us this June 16th-17th

If you're in the North East of the US this June, please join us for SigFest in NJ. Registration is open. http://www.sigfest.com/events.php
See more
See less

Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Ignition

Anyone convert over to electronic ignition? If so, what product did you use and what is involved?

Not sure what you mean by "electronic ignition"...? That term came about back when people removed the ancient "points" style distributor and replaced them with electronic (no contact) triggers.

The E30M3 never had "points"....nor has any other car I know of since the 1970s. On the E30M3 the ignition is already "electronic", timed and triggered by the ECU.

Comment

do you mean get rid of the distributor and rotor? Its been done many times, but will take a standalone engine management system, custom COP's or coil pack etc etc. Search standalone EMS and there are many many threads about it.

T

Comment

Thanks HandBlt.. that's what I meant. I'm just thinking out loud at this point as I am slowly starting to think of rebuilding the car and just want to know what are some minor tweaks guys have done. I don't have any interest in serious mods as I want to keep the car as stock as possible just because I prefer it personally but love what others have done to their cars.

When (more like if) the Cdn dollar ever gets close to parity with the usd I will have Don or the guys in NH rebuild the engine... I think it's gonna be a while...

Comment

I ran my car with 4 coils/no distributor for years, and switched back to the distributor a couple years ago to pass smog....

Honestly, there is no real functional disadvantage to the distributor....car has the same power and runs just as well as it did with the individual coils. A lot of gee-whiz mods people do are really only better in theory, often with little or no real world advantage. This is one of them, IMHO.

And as Tony said, major modifications like standalone EMS and wiring are required to do it.

Comment

Never thought it was that involved. Now I know I won't be bothering with it. I was only considering it if there was a distinct advantage to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Split_S View Post
              Never thought it was that involved. Now I know I won't be bothering with it. I was only considering it if there was a distinct advantage to it.
              There is an advantage but its not due to the change from distributor type ignition to distributorless. The advantage comes from being able to specifically tune the EMS to the state of the engine tune/mods. Off the shelf chips cant get you there but there are close. The biggest advantage is being able to tune the midrange and part throttle torque once the AFM is removed. Changed the car totally for me when I got it dialed in with ideal IGN advance all over.

T

Comment

I've had a go with an MSD CDI ignition unit in the past which seemed to help with cold starts and fouled plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post

There is an advantage but its not due to the change from distributor type ignition to distributorless. The advantage comes from being able to specifically tune the EMS to the state of the engine tune/mods. Off the shelf chips cant get you there but there are close. The biggest advantage is being able to tune the midrange and part throttle torque once the AFM is removed. Changed the car totally for me when I got it dialed in with ideal IGN advance all over.

T
                  How so? What had you done for engine mods?

Im not certain if I will go that route (no AFM) as not being in the US means tuning will be quite an issue...

Comment

Working...
                  X