Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price Check, Please!! Gustave Stroes Ignition Wire Bracket

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Price Check, Please!! Gustave Stroes Ignition Wire Bracket

    Clearing out some parts: Can anyone give me a ballpark on what the Gustave Stroes ignition wire brackets are worth? No wires, just a good clean new-looking bracket with the wire holders.

    Thank you!

  • #2
    Hard to say. It's a nice low cross fire designed anodized bracket for the S14 with some clip holders. He usually sold them with his plug wires. Not even sure he sold the bracket separately.

    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH


    Comment


    • #3
      I bought just his wire bracket. It was so long ago I cannot remember what I paid though.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd put them up at $75. Great accessory for the S14. Prevents wire chaffage that leads to cross-fire with the stock looms.

        90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
        97 Porsche Carrera S
        13 Audi S6
        SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
        GONE 88 E28///M5 project

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SeattleE30///M3 View Post
          I'd put them up at $75. Great accessory for the S14. Prevents wire chaffage that leads to cross-fire with the stock looms.
          It's already been purchased! Not sure by whom... :-)
          1988 Lachs - sold
          1988 DS - sold
          Bay Area M3 FB group

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Konig View Post

            It's already been purchased! Not sure by whom... :-)
            Great pickup!!! I really miss Gustave. He always made top notch gear. I guess that is what happens when a satellite engineer makes old car parts

            90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
            97 Porsche Carrera S
            13 Audi S6
            SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
            GONE 88 E28///M5 project

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SeattleE30///M3 View Post

              Great pickup!!! I really miss Gustave. He always made top notch gear. I guess that is what happens when a satellite engineer makes old car parts
              Now I just have to figure out the rest of the setup... weren't there a set of wires and a whole kit and kaboodle to go with this? I'll have to do some searching.
              1988 Lachs - sold
              1988 DS - sold
              Bay Area M3 FB group

              Comment


              • #8
                SOmebody school me on gustav.

                Any pics of this bracket?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Pulled these from the ol' WWW. It's the sheetmetal bracket that replaces the stock spark plug wire runner.

                  Black in this image



                  Kind of a brushed bronze in this image

                  bmw e30 m3 engine shot by dan kinzie, on Flickr
                  1988 Lachs - sold
                  1988 DS - sold
                  Bay Area M3 FB group

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yup, Magnecor wires and leads. I believe you should be able to use your stock wires.

                    Gustave Stroes was a major asset to the E30 M3/S14 community. He took a strong 'engineering' approach to everything he did and he had a personal website where he documented everything, including mods with dyno plots. He also explained theoretical aspects of suspension and engine systems/tuning. He made these wire looms/brackets, super nice bump steer spacers and even fabricated his own Group A front control arms. Everything he dis was top notch.

                    He had a badass AW 2.5L E30 M3 with 17" Volk TE37s. He sold the car and left the community many years ago.

                    90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                    97 Porsche Carrera S
                    13 Audi S6
                    SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                    GONE 88 E28///M5 project

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SeattleE30///M3 View Post
                      Yup, Magnecor wires and leads. I believe you should be able to use your stock wires.

                      Gustave Stroes was a major asset to the E30 M3/S14 community. He took a strong 'engineering' approach to everything he did and he had a personal website where he documented everything, including mods with dyno plots. He also explained theoretical aspects of suspension and engine systems/tuning. He made these wire looms/brackets, super nice bump steer spacers and even fabricated his own Group A front control arms. Everything he dis was top notch.

                      He had a badass AW 2.5L E30 M3 with 17" Volk TE37s. He sold the car and left the community many years ago.
                      All true.

                      Gustave's departure was sort of the beginning of the transition of the E30M3 from an enthusiast's car to be modified and tracked into more of an investor/collector car. The content of this site has followed the same trend. I would say this site only experiences 1/4 or less of the traffic it did from 2003-2010. When cars are being modified and used there is just a lot more to talk about than with cars that are being "collected".

                      We may love this change or hate it (I'm in the latter group) but the fact remains that nothing ever stays the same.
                      Last edited by Ironhead; 03-29-2017, 04:03 AM.

                      Comment


                      • JEDM3
                        JEDM3 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        ^^ So true. The technical discussions on the forum were awesome over the years. So much knowledge has passed thru here. Greatly preferred it when everybody was modding or tweaking their cars and weren't stressed over value. $15,000 was the benchmark price....

                    • #12
                      Sounds like a cool guy, wonder why he sold.


                      As for the collector stuff, not for me. I intend to drive the balls off of this as I already do my E30 touring. If they want to preserve them for someone else that's fine but I own them to drive constantly.
                      I also wrench and do most everything on my own as I couldn't afford not to so I got lucky getting into the M3 right as they approached unattainable. Given I had to settle for one hell of a project car.

                      It is nice to know it can double as an insurance policy though. It's like with most things where people who are really really interested in something (before it's widely accepted or "cool") people tend to catch on and tell their friends....who have money. Once the item becomes scarce enough, and the "cool" factor ("hey my really cool bmw friend told me this is the holy grail of bmw") high enough, the bidding wars begin. Reminds me of the tulip bubble, I'm sure the people who TRULY appreciated them were left in the dust unable to enjoy the very thing the made "cool".

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by proctor750 View Post
                        As for the collector stuff, not for me. I intend to drive the balls off of this as I already do my E30 touring. If they want to preserve them for someone else that's fine but I own them to drive constantly.
                        I also wrench and do most everything on my own as I couldn't afford not to so I got lucky getting into the M3 right as they approached unattainable. Given I had to settle for one hell of a project car.

                        Same here....there are others here who still use their cars and modify them....I was just speaking of the trend.

                        I will either use/modify mine or sell it....I'm not really a believer in the "cars as investments" concept. And I have no plans to sell...

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by proctor750 View Post
                          Sounds like a cool guy, wonder why he sold.
                          Very cool guy, a great person to have as part of a forum community be it the SIG initially and then the E30 M3 forums like this one. Gustave was a great one to bounce ideas around with. Like a great many people that have come through this hobby over the years Gustave is missed..


                          Originally posted by proctor750 View Post
                          I'm sure the people who TRULY appreciated them were left in the dust unable to enjoy the very thing the made "cool".
                          Quoted for truth.
                          Thats a great quote actually.
                          The people that were on the SIG and this forum back then are probably the ones that lost the most even though their cars went up in value
                          jimmy p.
                          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                          04 Ford F350 - V10

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            I completely agree with these philosophical musings... We can't turn back time, but at least we can go and drive our E30 M3s. Good to know knowledgeable members like Ironhead and Jimmy are still active

                            Please post a pic of the E30 Touring!

                            90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                            97 Porsche Carrera S
                            13 Audi S6
                            SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                            GONE 88 E28///M5 project

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X