Checking engine after running lean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking engine after running lean?

After running WOT for half of the SCCA racing school session my car lost power and wouldn't rev past 5,500 then 4,500 and on down. Then when I was light on the throttle it would manage to piddle around back to the pits. Not until I kept revving the heck out of it one session all the way back to the pits could I see the fuel pressure drop to nearly nothing on my gauge located in my engine bay. It was tricky to figure out since driving slow back to the pits it seems the one pump that was working managed to build the fuel pressure back up again. In order to get my racing license I limped it around for the weekend. Now I need to check the engine to see if its ok. I checked the plugs and they seem perfect with a light brown film. What else can I look for If or before I open up the engine? Compression check? Scope through plug holes?

Thanks!

I would do a compression check....and drain/check the oil for shiny bits. If it passes both those tests I would not open it up unless you know something else I don't.

I think the S14 is more durable than we (usually) give it credit for.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
      I would do a compression check....and drain/check the oil for shiny bits. If it passes both those tests I would not open it up unless you know something else I don't.

I think the S14 is more durable than we (usually) give it credit for.
      thanks, I will be changing all the fluids since this was its maiden run after building the car and I'll look for shiny bits. It ran and runs perfectly without any different noises,vibrations etc. oil temp, oil pressure and water temp ran consistent throughout my sessions .

Comment

Check that fuel pumps are working, and also check the resistance of the reference sensor's. They should be 900-1000 ohms.
        Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
        • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
        • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
        • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
        • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
        • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
        • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
        • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
        • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
        • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Do you have an aftermarket FPR?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron ///Man View Post
            Check that fuel pumps are working, and also check the resistance of the reference sensor's. They should be 900-1000 ohms.
            Yes I will be doing that today. I have a Bosch in-line but an Airtex in tank pump both brand new along with filter that was clean when I checked it at the track. If I had to guess which new pump is bad I would say the Airtex in tank. The ref sensors aren't new but were in working order before my rebuild of the car. I will check them as well, thanks for posting the resistance I dont have to search for it now.

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin View Post
              Do you have an aftermarket FPR?
              Yes I do. I bought new a VAC FPR kit that comes with a Areomotive FPR. I have It mounted on my drivers side fender to reduce vibration. It was hard to deduce a dropping pressure since driving slow to the pits gave it time to build back up to normal.

Comment

I had that same unit prior to my Weldon unit and experienced a delaminated diaphragm and the fuel was going up and into the motor via vacuum port. This exhibited a somewhat similar situation or at least presented that way. You may want to have a look at that diaphragm if your other investigations don't seem to get an answer.

Comment

I had that same unit prior to my Weldon unit and experienced a delaminated diaphragm and the fuel was going up and into the motor via vacuum port. This exhibited a somewhat similar situation or at least presented that way. You may want to have a look at that diaphragm if your other investigations don't seem to get an answer.
                  Thanks...Funny you mentioned that. I remember the post about it at the track and pulled the vacuum tube of to check for fuel but didn't find any.

Comment

I don't know what to say about those Aeromotive FPRs. I know the Japanese car community are big users of them, but I went through two or three of them in rapid succession....and they kept failing on me. Since a failed FPR can easily kill an S14....I quit using them. In fact I gave up on adjustable FPRs altogether. They are not necessary from a tuning standpoint....more of a tuning band-aid really....and pretty much everyone agrees they are less reliable than a fixed pressure unit.

I did have good luck with the Weldon unit....but had to take it off because of CA smog checks.

If for some reason you want higher than stock pressure....Bosch Motorsport makes dead reliable fixed FPRs that provide higher pressure.

I am currently using stock....and it provides the steadiest 3-bar pressure of any unit I have ever used. Who would have thought?....LOL

BTW....unless you do not want to modify your car...IMHO a fuel pressure gauge and a bright warning light are a very good safety net for cars that are tracked or otherwise driven hard. It really helps with diagnosis when you have a problem also.
                    Last edited by Ironhead; 04-15-2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I don't know what to say about those Aeromotive FPRs. I know the Japanese car community are big users of them, but I went through two or three of them in rapid succession....and they kept failing on me. Since a failed FPR can easily kill an S14....I quit using them. In fact I gave up on adjustable FPRs altogether. They are not necessary from a tuning standpoint....more of a tuning band-aid really....and pretty much everyone agrees they are less reliable than a fixed pressure unit.

I did have good luck with the Weldon unit....but had to take it off because of CA smog checks.

If for some reason you want higher than stock pressure....Bosch Motorsport makes dead reliable fixed FPRs that provide higher pressure.

I am currently using stock....and it provides the steadiest 3-bar pressure of any unit I have ever used. Who would have thought?....LOL

BTW....unless you do not want to modify your car...IMHO a fuel pressure gauge and a bright warning light are a very good safety net for cars that are tracked or otherwise driven hard. It really helps with diagnosis when you have a problem also.
                      Thanks, I read about some reliability issues after i bought the kit from vac. Its only got 125 miles on the system so its still new. I might change the configuration in the future with an inline electrical FP gauge and warning light in car. I am going to bring the car to my friends BMW shop soon. I cant seem to find much info on a bosch motorsport fpr for the e30 m3?

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post

Thanks, I read about some reliability issues after i bought the kit from vac. Its only got 125 miles on the system so its still new. I might change the configuration in the future with an inline electrical FP gauge and warning light in car. I am going to bring the car to my friends BMW shop soon. I cant seem to find much info on a bosch motorsport fpr for the e30 m3?
                        They are not E30M3 specific....no reason for them to be.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/cont...543285131.html

The "Mini-2" can be ordered in any of several fixed pressure ratings...that's the one I was using. You would also need the adapter on the bottom of the page to mount it. It was dead reliable and also very vibration resistant so it could be engine mounted and still work fine. It allows you to use threaded fuel line fittings...which I much prefer over slip-on hose and hose clamps.

Or, of course, you could just use the stock FPR if you don't want to mess with all that.....

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post

Mine had about that many miles on it if not maybe just slightly more. These units are complete garbage if you ask me.

Comment

They are not E30M3 specific....no reason for them to be.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/cont...543285131.html

The "Mini-2" can be ordered in any of several fixed pressure ratings...that's the one I was using. You would also need the adapter on the bottom of the page to mount it. It was dead reliable and also very vibration resistant so it could be engine mounted and still work fine. It allows you to use threaded fuel line fittings...which I much prefer over slip-on hose and hose clamps.

Or, of course, you could just use the stock FPR if you don't want to mess with all that.....
                            Thanks..... I saw those but wasn't sure how to configure it. I might go back with stock then decide from there.

Comment

Mine had about that many miles on it if not maybe just slightly more. These units are complete garbage if you ask me.
                              lol ok doesn't look to promising for me then. Still waiting to get an opening to check and test all electrical components at my friends shop as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X