No announcement yet.

Checking engine after running lean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever figure out what went wrong? I had a similar issue this past weekend where I could not rev pass 6500 ish. Literally hit a wall like there was a lack of fuel pressure. I'm all stock btw.

Gotta find a day to diagnose this week
    sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

If you are all stock and that is happening, I would check my fuel pumps and filter.
      88M3 henna

73T100C
      97 540\6-Gone
      2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Yea i figured. i just ordered both pumps and fuel filter & pressure reg. Its all old never replaced them and Iv'e had the car for over 10 years.

Also ordered a new TP sensor because idle was hanging up until I removed it and played with it for a minute (idle button was sticking). Maybe the TP was sending part throttle signal to the Dme hence lack of fuel as well. this just occurred to me.
        sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

Well I don't have any issues from possibly running lean. Last week I dropped my car at a friend of mines shop for him to figure it out. I'll let you know what he finds.

Comment

Cool!
            sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

Could it be the rubber hose from the AFM to the air plenum collapsing at high RPM? I heard that was a problem with some of the newer replacements.

Comment

Wow I forgot that was a possibility. I did replace it last year and didnt have an issue late in the season last year but i do find it rather soft, come to think of it i was fiddling in that area a couple weekends back & may have squished it a few times making it weak. I'll replace all the fuel components since i have them already and will try that. In the meantime i will mock up a collapse preventing wire.
                sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

Just a little update on my end.

So i confirmed that my throttle boot was collapsing. I made a inner coil to prevent the boot from closing and did the trick! Thanks for your advice guys
                  sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out. Now you can go out and drive the car the way it should be.

Comment

I would strongly suggest you have someone get inside the combustion chamber with a quality borescope and check the pistons. An S14 can very easily run lean at a track day for a myriad of reasons and have a piston or two end up looking like this! I had it happen one day in 1992 on my way up to Lime Rock. Engine was running lean on a very fast stretch of highway with the radio cranked!. After stopping for fuel I noticed a miss. Drove slowly to the track and pulled plugs. Noticed # 2 spark plug had melted some. Borrowed a set of XR2CS from Kermit Upton. Drove the car for another 2,000 miles until I decided to pull the head. My piston looked about half as bad as this one.

Melted the edge on one side (hot spot of combustion on the piston) exposing the top ring. Which was still floating & making contact.
                      Don Fields
                      MrMCar
                      www.mrmcar.com

Comment

Originally posted by MrMCar View Post
                        I would strongly suggest you have someone get inside the combustion chamber with a quality borescope and check the pistons. An S14 can very easily run lean at a track day for a myriad of reasons and have a piston or two end up looking like this! I had it happen one day in 1992 on my way up to Lime Rock. Engine was running lean on a very fast stretch of highway with the radio cranked!. After stopping for fuel I noticed a miss. Drove slowly to the track and pulled plugs. Noticed # 2 spark plug had melted some. Borrowed a set of XR2CS from Kermit Upton. Drove the car for another 2,000 miles until I decided to pull the head. My piston looked about half as bad as this one.

Melted the edge on one side (hot spot of combustion on the piston) exposing the top ring. Which was still floating & making contact.
                        Good advice.

I have long considered getting a borescope to use for a variety of things....not just cars.

I just did a quick internet search, and found borescopes ranging from $19.95 devices that plug into a smart phone, to $26,000+ borescopes at the other end.

I have no point really, except that I found it a remarkable spread.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

Good advice.

I have long considered getting a borescope to use for a variety of things....not just cars.

I just did a quick internet search, and found borescopes ranging from $19.95 devices that plug into a smart phone, to $26,000+ borescopes at the other end.

I have no point really, except that I found it a remarkable spread.
                          My local AutoZone rents borescopes for $140, which is refundable upon return. I'm probably going to go this route soon.

Comment

So an update from my car. Plugs, pistons and cylinders are fine, the cause of my issue stemmed from some crap clogging my new fuel pump. A little embarrassing since I assumed the worst without checking into the obvious. So until I source parts for my fuel cell upgrade I installed a higher quality inline filter before the pump that has a replaceable cartridge along with draining and flushing the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                              So an update from my car. Plugs, pistons and cylinders are fine, the cause of my issue stemmed from some crap clogging my new fuel pump. A little embarrassing since I assumed the worst without checking into the obvious. So until I source parts for my fuel cell upgrade I installed a higher quality inline filter before the pump that has a replaceable cartridge along with draining and flushing the tank.
                              That is all I thought the entire time I was reading this. It may be time to take a flashlight and peak into your fuel tank.... I just had to replace mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X