New TMS carrier bushing assembly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TMS carrier bushing assembly

Hey guys! Curious if any body has tried out the new TMS carrier bushing assembly? I am most curious about installation and whether or not you just unbolt the bracket, push it forward then back and take out OR is it more involved? I don't want to be undoing the "bitch clip" and articulating the carrier to install this. I definitely don't want to remove the exhaust or driveshaft either. They sort of pitch it as a "bolt-on" which it may be if it's all apart but what if it's not apart? I called TMS and the guy couldn't give me an answer so I am coming to the junkie's to see if anybody has attempted it and what it's like. TIA gents!

There is no bitch clip for an M3 transmission. 4 bolts attach the shifter support to the transmission. That said, no I haven't messed with the TMS bushings.

Will
    '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
    '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      There is no bitch clip for an M3 transmission. 4 bolts attach the shifter support to the transmission. That said, no I haven't messed with the TMS bushings.

Will
      Will,
      Thanks for pointing that out! I confused the configuration with that from my e28. As mentioned...been a while since I was under the M3 by the shifter. If anybody has an experience with this piece...I'd love to hear it, thanks.

Comment

I was afraid of said clip when I did my shifter rebuild, but then I figured out it came off with 4 bolts. I used some from Condor they seem to be good stuff. https://www.condorspeedshop.com/collections/all?page=5.

Will
        '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
        '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
        '88 M3

Comment

You can get to the shifter carrier without removing the exhaust, but I would recommend removing the exhaust. I've removed the carrier twice on my car. It took so much longer and was a huge pain with the exhaust in place. You can leave the driveshaft in though - it's not a big deal to work around.

Comment

Thanks for the response! I am not so concerned with removing the carrier as I am with removing the rear carrier bushing assembly(bracket). That is, of course, unless you have to remove the carrier assembly to replace/remove the rear bracket?

Comment

You don't have to remove the entire carrier, but access to the rear bracket is way easier with the exhaust removed. I removed the rear bracket with the exhaust still in place and it took me 6 hours. It took me an hour when I removed the exhaust...

Comment

Oh wow. I gotcha. Basically one of those deals where "yeah it's possible" but definitely not fun unless the exhaust is out of the way. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin View Post
                  Oh wow. I gotcha. Basically one of those deals where "yeah it's possible" but definitely not fun unless the exhaust is out of the way. Thanks for the tip!
                  I wanted to second that Floss...remove the exhaust.

I tried it with the exhaust in place when I first got the car....not only was it a contortionist nightmare (especially if like me you have large hands)....the visibility is really bad with the exhaust in place as well.

I would be 50/50 on removing the driveshaft also. The heat shield can be removed in maybe 5 minutes....and once that is out of the way removing the driveshaft is just 3 bolts at the guibo and two at the center support bearing. Access to the carrier is a breeze with the driveshaft out of the way as well as the exhaust....but it is not essential.

If you decide to remove the driveshaft, make sure you make alignment marks before you separate the splines from the rear half. It has to go back together exactly as it came apart to retain balance.

Comment

I recently installed this. I had to file the end of the shifter rod in order to push the bushing over it. Night and day difference. Of all the shifter parts I replaced this was the biggest improvement. It got rid of a ton of slop for me. There are a few suppliers, I got one from garagistic. It was a bit of a pain to install but worth it.
                    David Hellman

Comment

I went to install it and the bushing fell out. I returned it to TMS/ECS. I replaced it with a factory new unit since I had it out. I did not remove my exhaust...good to hear that it is an improvement.

Comment

Working...
                      X