Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have a huge problem with aluminum flywheels for street use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have a huge problem with aluminum flywheels for street use?

I'm considering installing a JB Racing aluminum flywheel for street use. Is the e30 M3 with a stock S14 a good candidate?
    1988 M3 zinnoberrot/schwarz

Yes...

The plus...more instant engine response...both accelerating and decelerating.

The downside....more noise from the transmission at idle.... Theoretically the idle should be slightly rougher too...but I have never been able to detect that.

Given the nature of the E30M3 it should have come from the factory with a lightweight flywheel IMHO.

Comment

I have them in both my street cars (and lighter ones in the race cars), wouldn't have an S14 without it.
      I also have one in my M44 318Ti, HUGE improvement in that application, bigger impact than the S14.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I also have it in both my street and track m3, probably my favorite mod in the street car, made a huge difference in the motor spinning up, I have no side effects aside from trans noise at idle. Been in the car since 2003

Comment

never had an issue with mine. Love it. the rattling was there with the stock flywheel too.

Comment

Thanks for the great input everyone; it looks like I'll be getting one of those aluminum flywheels
            1988 M3 zinnoberrot/schwarz

Comment

Do it! you will be glad you did. Revmatch like a BOSS.
              88M3 henna

73T100C
              97 540\6-Gone
              2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Working...
              X