Clutch failure with pedal on floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch failure with pedal on floor

on way back from Sigfest had clutch fail so it would not disengage. Pulled trans last night to inspect. Found no major failure of components. Stock clutch and parts. Possibly assembly issue but all seemed in place during disassembly. Throw out bearing seemed ok, clutch and pp ok. Fork and pin that fork contacts look worn but intact. Slave cylinder was new.

Had grinding/rubbing noise start while in NJ and failed after 3 he drive when I pressed clutch pedal in. Clutch engaged and I could shift in and out of gear.

have a job racing flywheel. Looks ok on surface. Shout it be resurfaced for new clutch? Staying with stock SACHS clutch.
    88M3 henna

73T100C
    97 540\6-Gone
    2008 MINI Clubman S

Have you looked for a broken pedal box or clutch master?

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Possibly the m/cylinders is shot and the fluid is by passing the piston seal, there is a spring arrangement on the clutch pedal and if hydraulic failure the pedal will stay on the floor and you have to reach down and lift it back up.

E30 M3 1987
      Mini Clubman GT
      BMW E36 323 Msport
      Toyota Corona
      KTM 200EXC
      Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Thanks. will check. After thinking about it that does makes sense.
        88M3 henna

73T100C
        97 540\6-Gone
        2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Hi, JEDM3,
          I had a similar failure and it was the clutch master. The early ones, an '87 had a small wire circlip against the rubber seal on the piston, and the wire part failed, cutting the rubber.
          Larry

Comment

Jed,
            I agree with the others, Sounds like a clutch master (especially if its still stock / original), or maybe the slave. Some of the slaves I see coming out of boxes makes me wonder where they are making them, they don't look anything like the quality they used to.
            jimmy p.
            87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
            88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
            88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
            92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
            98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
            04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Did you try a simple bleed to start? This happened to me before SIGFest. Of course all my components were new. I bled the system previously and everything was fine for a week or so, then I had the problem you describe. I re-bled and it's been fine ever since.
              Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
              1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
              2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
              http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

i replaced the slave while I had the engine/trans out. Pressure bled everything when I put it back together. I suspect the master which is original may have given up. Will dig in here soon. Could be as simple as air pocket, will find out.

Next item, assembly of the pressure plate to flywheel. Part drawing shows spacers with the PP bolts(6). Do these go behind the PP as a spacer? If so, I did not use them which would explain the noise I was hearing...
                Going to replace all bits and pieces in that area as I put it back together.
                88M3 henna

73T100C
                97 540\6-Gone
                2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

If it was working then not, I would bet my money against anything other than the master if thats original and you replaced the slave.

The spacers are in the ETK for our clutches but I don't think I have ever seen anyone use one.
                  Every S14 pressure plate I have ever assembled was plate direct to flywheel with (8) M8 bolts of the required kind for that particular pressure plate.
                  I have no idea what the original intent of the spacers was but I don't think I have ever seen one and I took the original clutch out of my street car at around 50K miles as PM (and to put in a lightweight flywheel). No spacers were in that car. I think that was a 9/87 build ( I frequently get it confused with the race car, they are just a few apart).
                  jimmy p.
                  87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                  88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                  88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                  92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                  98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                  04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

• JEDM3
                    JEDM3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Jim. I found an older post that touched on the spacers. They were to be installed between plate and bolt head. Theory indicated was to allow for bolt stretch. Regardless, per all discussions, not in use by most all installers. Ordered new bolts but wont install spacers. Been good so far.
                    Cheers!
                    John
                Working...
                X