Front suspension noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front suspension noise

on my last ride I developed a loud knock coming from the passenger side front when hitting bumps. All the suspension was replaced about 1000 miles ago. I checked the links and everything is tight, it sounds like it's coming from the strut housing. When replacing the strut cartridge is it necessary to put oil into the strut housing before inserting the cartridge? It sounds as if the cartridge is hitting the bottom of the housing.
    Has anyone had the same problem or does anyone have a suggestion as to what it could be?

thanks
    Anthony

I think when people put oil in the housing it is meant to keep the cartridge from seizing and making it hard to remove in the future. I don't think it is meant to dampen the cartridge. Is the large gland nut at the top tight? Tell us which suspension was installed. Some people complain that their bilstein struts bottom out too easily. Trimming the bumpstops add more travel.

Comment

• Afish
      Afish commented
      Editing a comment
      I checked the nut that is on the top of the strut tower inside the engine compartment and that's tight. I had bilstein HD shock installed

I suggest looking at the end links and the sway bar bushings. When you add the stiffness from the new struts to the old end links and bushings it can sound like the entire strut is going to fall off. I recently had this issue on my 328M Sport after installing Koni's with 85K on the car. I just installed Koni's on the e30 and replaced everything. Dead quiet.

Comment

The gland nut on top of the strut tube could be loose. I've heard of racers putting some oil into the tubes for "cooling" (not sure how much that would cool the struts themselves) but my tubes got water into them every time I washed the car, which sat for years and caused some corrosion. When I got new struts, I cleaned everything up and put some oil into the tubes to prevent future corrosion. This was with a Ground Control setup, so I'm not sure a stock set up will allow water ingress, but there's a thought anyway.

Here's what the corrosion looked like. It wasn't much, but I might not have known until it was too late had I not decided to disassemble and inspect everything a few summers ago.

Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
      1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
      2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
      http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

Does the strut have to be removed to tighten the gland nut?

Thanks for the help

Comment

People put oil in the strut tube because it helps heat transfer. And my bet is you have a loose gland nut.

Comment

Hi, Afish,
            Bmwdayz is right on. The oil in the strut tube is there to provide heat transfer to keep the shock cool(er).
            Larry

Comment

Which springs?

Comment

The gland nut screws into the top of the strut tube and holds the shock in place. I'd pull it all apart anyway to inspect. You might use this as a sign that you should refresh your shocks.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...hock_absorber/

Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
                1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
                2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
                http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

Guys,

Something really strange.
                  I removed the strut assembly and the cartridge (Bilstein HD) has a bottom cap that is threaded on to the shock piston. these cartridges do not have a molded sealed bottom.
                  the bottom cap somehow unscrewed from the piston and was banging up and down within the housing.
                  Has anyone had ant experience with this type of cartridge? the cartridges are less than a year old, are these the right cartridges for the E30 M3. they do not have a solid bottom as the one that Brandon posted a picture of.

Thanks guys

Comment

Replacement cartridges have tubes to basically hold the shock in place. Bilstein is an inverted design and they are mean to come apart the shock insert shown above is the old design and is very much like oem. Sounds like your gland nut was loose and the this allowed play pulling the two dimples that hold the the tube to the round portion apart.

Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

The cap on my cartridge does not have a nut on the outside, it was only threaded on and must have come loose and the piston was slamming onto the cap lying in the bottom of the strut housing. I'm just wondering how this would have come loose

Comment

It happens I guess. Also happened to my brothers E30 325i.
                        sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

Gland nut was most likely loose and strut insert was not bottomed out. so after a few miles of driving it went past the blockage in the strut and now was free to move .also what style gland nut do you have ?

what style do they look like?
                          Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

• Afish
                            Afish commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The one on the right
                        Working...
                        X