See less

Broken down! (is this a fueling issue?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken down! (is this a fueling issue?)

Hi,
    My E30 M3 let me down this evening... but at least it had the good spirit to start breaking down only 1 mile from destination and I was able to limp all the way there. :-)

It had been running fine. At the end of a 2-hour drive, the car started losing power, like it suddenly lost 50% power.
    Then over the next couple of minutes it got progressively worse, until the car came to a halt and stalled.

The engine had trouble starting and wouldn't hold idle.
    It noticed that it would hold about 4000 RPM in neutral and I managed to get the car going again by slipping the clutch enough to hold 4000 RPM.
    The car would just hold 4000 in 1st and 2nd, all the while caughing and spluttering, so I was able to limp to destination.

The engine caughs and splutteres and seems to work at and beyond 4000 only because the engine then has enough inertia to keep spinning despite the caughing. Let the revs start dropping and the engine caughs, loses revs and then stalls.

It feels like a fueling issue. Like maybe a big blockage in a fuel pipe or maybe a failing fuel pump.

Opinions please? Thanks!

I'm on vacation here (in France) and have 3 days to sort it out, otherwise I'll have to leave it and take a train home. :-/

Alex

I would try to disconnect the AFM & blow away any debris and re-connect it. Had similar scenario recently when the plug backed out slowly. The engine couldn't measure the air going in and fell on it face. I would also make sure the throttle elbow is secure (vacuum leak)
    sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

Had the same thing happen to me a while back a small elbow on back of the intake plenum came out causing a large air leak
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks so much mikem3cabrio, the rubber elbow on the back of the plenum had indeed come out.
        I inserted it back in and the engine instantly ran normally again. Hooray! :-)

It seems to require glue to stay in properly, which is surprising. Is that normal? Do I need a special automotive product, or is normal supermarket glue ok?
        Thanks,

Comment

Yes, use http://www.loctite.com.au/3320_AUE_H...=8802627584001

loctite sleeve bond

works very well

Comment

Thanks, I'm ordering some Loctite 620 and will hold in place with duct tape until receiving the Loctite. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by alexwagner View Post
              Thanks so much mikem3cabrio, the rubber elbow on the back of the plenum had indeed come out.
              I inserted it back in and the engine instantly ran normally again. Hooray! :-)

It seems to require glue to stay in properly, which is surprising. Is that normal? Do I need a special automotive product, or is normal supermarket glue ok?
              Thanks,
              Isn't that supposed to have a hose clamp on it? Mine does, its kind of a paint to tighten, but its never had an issue. I did have the brake fitting come lose. That made a horrible noise.

Will
              '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
              '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
              '88 M3

Comment

The hose does, yes, but the elbow is a press fit into the plenum. It comes loose.

Comment

Green loctite sleeve retainer is your friend. lightly clean/sand both male and female portions of the assy and clean well with a non-residue cleaner (brake cleaner is fine) and then apply the retainer, set it in the correct position and let cure.

Comment

Working...
                  X